Getting started with kitless.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Pian

I'm wanting to start getting into turning kitless and semi kitless pens. The normal kits are nice but I want to try something different. I've got the supplies but wanted more info on the process. The term sleeving gets brought up. Wanted more insights on what it is and what material you use. There's very few youtube videos about it. Tried reading some forum posts but that confused me even more. If you could explain it nice and slow for me I'd appreciate it.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Hippie3180

You can make a sleeve to go inside a wood blank, most use ebonite, you can use acrylic as well. This prevents the wood from any ink leakage and prevents air from drying out the nib, but the biggest reason is that you can't effectively thread wood, thus the ebonite sleeve.

Bob Blanford (RJB Woodturner has a few You Tube videos regarding kitless, but the best way is just getting out there and figuring it out. I would also say that some closed end kits such as Apollo and Artemis from Bullseye Turning Supplies are also a great way to transition to kitless.

Pian

You can make a sleeve to go inside a wood blank, most use ebonite, you can use acrylic as well. This prevents the wood from any ink leakage and prevents air from drying out the nib, but the biggest reason is that you can't effectively thread wood, thus the ebonite sleeve.

Bob Blanford (RJB Woodturner has a few You Tube videos regarding kitless, but the best way is just getting out there and figuring it out. I would also say that some closed end kits such as Apollo and Artemis from Bullseye Turning Supplies are also a great way to transition to kitless.
I'm currently learning the process for Bullseye's Artemis. Going to practice on a few cheap blanks but I've got a custom one in mind I want to eventually use.

jalbert

Aluminum sleeve for a vintage acetate cap. Sometimes I use aluminum because I can get away with very thin walls, as opposed to ebonite or acrylic.
C7B81978-6775-4263-9F4E-322039768A9C.jpeg
DD6712F2-C69F-42F9-B3C9-FFCFD67EA161.jpeg

Hippie3180

I'd say that making a sleeved wooden Kitless pen is something to aspire toward. But start with using resin material and no sleeve. There's a lot to learn right there. You don't have to eat the whole elephant in one bite.
Yep, good advice.

Oliver X

I think Phil Dart's primer is probably the best thing ever written on getting started. There's really no one way to make a pen. I'd scour the resources section here also as there are a few decent tutorials on basic techniques.

My personal approach is to examine commercial pens both physically and virtually so as to glean as much as I can about their construction.

builtbybill

Aluminum sleeve for a vintage acetate cap. Sometimes I use aluminum because I can get away with very thin walls, as opposed to ebonite or acrylic. View attachment 361269View attachment 361270
John,

I was just wondering if you could give any instructions on how you would make a clip like this. If there is already another thread, or video, where you might have done this could you just point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
Bill

Top Bottom