Getting set up for Alumilite....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ice31

So I'm tired of seeing all you guys make me look bad so I'm diving into the world of casting. I've got all my hardware ordered up and on its way. I'm leaning on starting with clear alumilite...but not sure which to go with the standard clear or the water clear. I am also open to any suggestions on where to start and what to start with.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ice31

Start with the standard clear.

What do you mean by "Where to start, and what to start with"?

Basically...what is the best way to dive into this. Is the cutting board form the best way to go...what should I stay away from early on....

I guess I should actually share my whole thought since you cant read my mind. I would like to use the casting resin with wood and other materials. I like the mixed blanks better than the resin blanks alone. Just want to avoid any pitfalls that may be waiting.

plantman

Best way to start is to read and watch videos that are on this site and youtube. I have found cutting boards ( new) at Good Will for under $5, even CA won't stick to them. Probably the most importent thing to remember in casting is time management. Make sure you have all your materials in place before you start. You can take your time measuring, degasing, (if you don't have a pressure pot), adding and mixing seperate colors, but once you add the hardner, your on the clock !! Air bubbles are your biggest enemy. Jim S

Ice31

Jim, good info to know....I have a HF pressure pot ordered. Do I need form release spray for the molds? And do you know what actual material the cutting boards are made of. I have a friend that owns a machine shop here in town and has sheets and sheets of different plastics....mostly nylon, some delrin...he said I could have my pick through all of it and take what I wanted, but I don't want to get something that'll bond with the resin.

plantman

Jim, good info to know....I have a HF pressure pot ordered. Do I need form release spray for the molds? And do you know what actual material the cutting boards are made of. I have a friend that owns a machine shop here in town and has sheets and sheets of different plastics....mostly nylon, some delrin...he said I could have my pick through all of it and take what I wanted, but I don't want to get something that'll bond with the resin.

I looked to see what it was made of but it only said it was made by a plastic Co. here in Wisconsin. Almost all plastic cutting boards are made of a very dence nonpoures material. I would ask your friend what is used to bond the plastic together, and if PR will stick to it. Try a few test pieces. PR should not stick to most grades of delrin. Pam or any other nonstick cooking spray can be used for a mold release. Look in the library for tips on what can be used for moulds, or how to make your own custom moulds. Many people use Tupperware for there casts. Jim S

Last edited:

Marko50

Aaron,

Just my .02¢…Start with Alumilite clear, order some of their dyes, especially the primary colors. The HF pressure pot is a gamble with your life when you get past 40psi in my opinion. You're better off finding an American made pot, i.e., Binks, LaGrange, Devillblis, Graco. Get something that is ASME Certified. Your life is worth a lot more than the couple hundred bucks you're saving by purchasing the Chinese crap. I found a good solid pot, made in the USA, ASME Certifed up to 125psi on Ebay for $60.00. Yes it was dirty, but I had it sandblasted, paid a visit to my local paint shop who helped me modify and retro fit it with the proper valves and safety release valve (all American made) and it works like a charm. Go read Curtis Seebecks adventures in HF pressure pots here...http://www.penturners.org/forum/f43...ot-failure-my-wife-almost-became-widow-51588/ It will make you think long and hard about saving a few bucks. Don't do it!

I started out using the cutting board type molds. They're ok if you're planning large pours of resin. You can cut them down to any size you want, in fact, you can run them through a planer to take off the rough surface and make it smooth. You're Alumilite will flow completely different, in a good way, when you do that. I would highly recommend Fred Wissens (Ptownsubbies.com) mold that will enable you to pour 5 blanks and keep your waste to a very tiny minimum. Check it out here..PTownSubbie.com - Horizontal Silicone Molds.

If you ever do any tube-on type molds Fred's are hands down, the very best. By the way, when you're casting just a clear mold, there is no need to go above 20-30 psi…ever! Bonding Alumilite to wood, then yes, take it higher, but only in a ASME Certified pot!

One other thing…you will waste a ton of AL before you get your recipe's down to a science, just make sure you're writing everything down as you make it. You will need that information again in the very near future, I guarantee it!:wink:

Be prepared to call your local addiction therapist because, you will shortly be beyond self help. Welcome to the addiction!

Mark

Attachments

• DSC_9882.jpg
    DSC_9882.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 131

BSea

One other thing…you will waste a ton of AL before you get your recipe's down to a science, just make sure you're writing everything down as you make it. You will need that information again in the very near future, I guarantee it!:wink:
What he said. It's not possible to take too many notes.

As far as cutting boards go. I use the milky white ones to make molds. But I mostly use molds from Fred Wissen (as noted by Marko50). Cutting boards are fine, but saying Alumilite & PR don't stick to it is just sort of true. They won't permanently stick, but there is some effort to get them to release. Be sure that you can easily remove one side to get the cast out. I've never used any mold release. It is easier using Fred's molds. And if you want a size that he doesn't have listed, just tell him what you want. He has several other molds available that aren't on his site.

As far as pots go, I'd also recommend you get something other than a HF pot. I got mine at Sears a few years ago when they closed out their pressure pots. I just wish I'd bought both the ones they had left rather than just 1. I know lots of people use the HF pots with good success. I regularly use 60 to 70 psi in my pot. But I haven't done much with wood. So ask that specific question, and you may get more advice regarding the right amount of pressure for that process.

Last edited:

Ice31

Thanks for all the advice...you have officially scared me off of the HF pot. I manage a welding shop and we do a lot of work on pressure vessels (big ones....30k gal and up) so I unfortunately don't have anything small to get from there. What I will do though is put that HF pot through the wringer of tests to make sure it will do what they say it will do...probably will even fab up some kind of safety bar to lock over the top of the pot lid. I did search craigslist and ebay for a Binks and found a few prospects so I'll be picking up one of them to be sure.

It looks like using some kind of silicon mold is the most efficient way to go in the long run...I read Plantman's article in the library about how to make your own and I think I may go that route. And just what I need another addiction.....

JohnU

I think everything has been addressed above but I wanted to add ... In regards to pressure tanks, make sure you use them to their specifications. Inspect them regularly to make sure they are in proper working order ( seal, clamps, gauges, etc). Work in an area away from others, and if you see a problem with it, fix or replace it. Don't press your luck. For what it's worth, I've been casting for years and make thousands of blanks a year. I've only ever used HF pots and never had an issue. Be safe and keep it fun!

Ice31

I think everything has been addressed above but I wanted to add ... In regards to pressure tanks, make sure you use them to their specifications. Inspect them regularly to make sure they are in proper working order ( seal, clamps, gauges, etc). Work in an area away from others, and if you see a problem with it, fix or replace it. Don't press your luck. For what it's worth, I've been casting for years and make thousands of blanks a year. I've only ever used HF pots and never had an issue. Be safe and keep it fun!

Thanks John...makes me feel a bit better.

Aaron
Jacksonville, IL

sbell111

Thanks for all the advice...you have officially scared me off of the HF pot.
Dont get too scared off by the thread about Curtis' pot. He will be the first to admit that his failed because of modifications that he made to the lid of the pot where the clamps hold the pot on. These modifications caused one of the clamps to fail and, therefore, the lid to fail.

Many of us, me included, have been casting fusing a HF pot for years with absolutely no issues. The key to success with any pressure pot is to ensure that you are using safe pressures for the pot and to ensure that you are using good practices when using the pot to ensure that the clamps are always tightened down appropriately. Remember that your primary goal when casting under pressure is to collapse the air bubbles. You don't need high pressures to do this.

It looks like using some kind of silicon mold is the most efficient way to go in the long run...I read Plantman's article in the library about how to make your own and I think I may go that route. And just what I need another addiction.....
I use silicone molds for tube-in molds and for single-blank molds and UHMW/cutting board molds for block casting. These molds are all very easy to make. There's no need to spend a lot of money in this area.

Last edited:

Jim Burr

Banned
There are a few hundred people that enjoy HF pots...and a few dozen that have had them fail; either in their face or leading to a remodel job. Base your purchase on your health insurance and which is cheaper...ED visit or a better pot that has ZERO fail issues. Cheap is as cheap does.
On the brighter side...Alumilite is great stuff to cast with and does require pressure. With all the on-line info, you should be a Cast-o-matic in a few hours. If not...the library has a few articles to guide you!

Top Bottom