Getting ready for Chicago MPG!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

low_48

Many of you know how much wood I can bring to the MPG. What you don't know was that I kind of lost my spirit a few years ago with, well a lot of things. Caring for my elderly Mother suffering from Alzheimer's was the main driver to this change. She passed on November 6, and I'm scratching my way back. I kind of headed towards cycling, and am averaging about 2,500 miles a year for the past 3 years. That exercise was very therapeutic for me. Anyway, these 6,308 blanks are heading north with me Thursday afternoon. I'm not going to spoil the surprise, but these won't be in my booth. A deal has been struck with a business you are all very familiar with and they will be making an announcement soon I'm sure. It's going to be a huge parking lot deal, please don't call security if you are attending. No envelopes will be changing hands! LOL I'll still be bringing a ton of wood (probably close to that weight). A lot of stuff from 2x2s up to bowl blanks. Also some nice 1" lumber so you can cut your own blanks. I'll still have a few odd pen blanks on my table I think. Yup, I had more than 6,308 in my basement. See you in Chicago!

Attachments

• RenderedImage.JPG
    RenderedImage.JPG
    135.8 KB · Views: 406
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Well, ExoticBlanks has always been a little "light on wood offerings". So, when Rich asked if I might be interested, it was a very easy decision!!

We will be coming to the MPG with our "entry level" trailer--the first one (of three progressively larger) we used for craft shows. It will have several Jet lathes in their boxes, ready for sale at the event. We sure hope we sell a few to make room for all that wood!!!

We were very happy to help Rich convert his wood to a more easily transported asset: cash!!

We look forward to seeing everybody at the MPG!!!!

Ed & Dawn

magpens

Good to hear from you, Rich. . It's been a long time ... 3 1/2 yrs or so. . Missed you.

Welcome back !!

Lucky2

Oh wow, man I wish I could attend, but Chicago is just a bit to far. I'd love to get some of that nice dry wood, and maybe even pick up a lathe. I'm in the market for a full size lathe, but it's quite hard to get a good quality one in Canada. With Jet and most lathe manufacturers drop shipping, they will only deliver to the states. And for me to have to travel to Maine (the closest state to me) to buy one, the duties and taxes at the border would almost double the price.

Len

magpens

Len,

Can you not buy lathes in New Brunswick ? Now about Brunswick Industrial in Dieppe ?

JohnU

Very excited to see you and what you bring Rich! I haven't bought a wood blank since the last pile I got from you. I'll be taking advantage of this! And don't worry Ed... if it doesn't fit In your trailer, I'll have my truck!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
And I will have an empty truck on the way home ... just sayin...

Very excited to see you and what you bring Rich! I haven't bought a wood blank since the last pile I got from you. I'll be taking advantage of this! And don't worry Ed... if it doesn't fit In your trailer, I'll have my truck!

Isn't it GREAT to have such helpful friends????

Both going in the wrong direction, but ALWAYS willing to HELP!!!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Lucky2

Len,

Can you not buy lathes in New Brunswick ? Now about Brunswick Industrial in Dieppe ?

Yes I can, but not at a reasonable price, and the only ones I've seen were metal working lathes. I was close to buying a General lathe in excellent condition, but the fellow sold it on me. I was in New Brunswick, and the lathe was in Hamilton Ont. It would have been an excellent chance for me to visit my daughter and brother in law, as well pick up the lathe. I even offered to have the money for the lathe, delivered to him by my bil. But he thought it was a scam of some sort, so he sold it to someone else. I could buy a lathe from Busy Bee tools, but I don't care for the quality of their lathes. I've already owned one of theirs, I bought it new. But I wasn't impressed with it, it always was a headache to use. And Busy Bee didn't seem to care, they told me to bring it back. I would have, but it was a very long way to drive, and I no longer had the original container. And I needed it for a refund or exchange, so I was stuck with it.

Len

magpens

Len,

I understand about Busy Bee ... and I don't think they even have a store in NB.

You know, a metal working lathe is worth considering. . I have been using one for pens for over 8 years and it has served me well ... 2000 pens. . I bought this lathe from Princess Auto. . At the time it was under $500 ... more than double that now, but you can get it on sale right now for about $750

https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/1-3-hp-mini-metalworking-lathe/A-p8507659e

I am surprised you have trouble finding a wood turning lathe ... the brand names "General" and "King" come to mind ... both have bench top lathes for around $450 I think.

Lee Valley carries the Rikon wood lathe. It is considerably more expensive, but it is of very good quality. I think your closest LV store would be Halifax.

low_48

I've been in that basement - it's a treasure trove!

Did you clean out the attic, too?

Which one? LOL
Places I collected from; house basement, garage attic.
Places I did not collect from; lean-to shed, garage, house attic

Now I'm collecting from between the house floor joists for most the high figure 1" lumber. That's about enough for another 300 blanks if ripped up.
Tomorrow I start on some bowl blanks.

Top Bottom