Get away from me with that

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

socdad

Unreal, can't wait to see what the next tech development has in store to make our lives simpler!:confused:

bensoelberg

Although I like to be informed, I absolutely hate news stories like that. They take a crime that isn't that wide spread, then publicize it, show how it's done, and include key details like having "the package shipped to a foreclosed home." I'm sure that a few lowlifes went right to their computer to find the components to make one of those readers right after seeing the broadcast.

Russianwolf

one thing that I haven't seen covered and I think may confuse the readers is having multiple card together. For example I have 4 cards in a sleeve in my wallet. So the reader would have to read just one card without picking up anything from the other three. pick up bits and pieces from each and you aren't going to get a working number.

LEAP

one thing that I haven't seen covered and I think may confuse the readers is having multiple card together. For example I have 4 cards in a sleeve in my wallet. So the reader would have to read just one card without picking up anything from the other three. pick up bits and pieces from each and you aren't going to get a working number.

Unless they get all 4.

ctubbs

This is nothing new. No, the news story did not give anything away to the crooks that was not already out in the wild. This has been a problem for a few years now. There are even openly published plans available to make your own RFID reader from components. I have been working on a reader to open a kitty door for our cats. Right now the problem with that is the range of the RFID chip. It only reads in a few inch range. Any tech product to make our life easier can usually make it less secure. The other choice, turn off all electricity and start shoveling horse feed and poop. I'll take my chances, thank you. Just my $0.02 today.
Charles

Andrew Arndts

hmmm and my wife says I nuts to have a lead shielded wallet
for those that want to be as nuts as I am, get some bird shot and duct tape.

Steve Busey

the reader would have to read just one card without picking up anything from the other three.

Not a problem - the big box stores like Wally World are using RFID to scan entire pallets of product coming into or going out on the loading dock. If it can catch all the products on a pallet in a flash, it can catch 4 cards in your wallet. :frown:

ctubbs

Copper might be a better shield. When we install an MRI, the room is completely surrounded in copper mesh overlapping many times. This is to cut out all magnetic interference from the outside. It is also much lighter than lead. Copper sheeting can be had at most craft stores.
Charles

Billman

Snowmass Village & Grand Junction, Colorado
the reader would have to read just one card without picking up anything from the other three.

Not a problem - the big box stores like Wally World are using RFID to scan entire pallets of product coming into or going out on the loading dock. If it can catch all the products on a pallet in a flash, it can catch 4 cards in your wallet. :frown:
Actually, they use bar codes. If it were RFID, every item within the pallet would have to have a RFID transmitter attached to it, and they don't (think food items). However, every item does have a barcode these days.

I use the exact same equipment in my job. A pallet of items is considered a "container". One scan of the bar code for the pallet/container will allow the inventory person to control every item on the pallet without having to scan each individule item into or out of inventory (a real time saver). Then each of the individule items can be scanned in or out additionally as well if needed.

Mark

Actually, they use bar codes. If it were RFID, every item within the pallet would have to have a RFID transmitter attached to it, and they don't (think food items). However, every item does have a barcode these days.

I use the exact same equipment in my job. A pallet of items is considered a "container". One scan of the bar code for the pallet/container will allow the inventory person to control every item on the pallet without having to scan each individule item into or out of inventory (a real time saver). Then each of the individule items can be scanned in or out additionally as well if needed.

Agreed. I believe it's a barcode. We use the same code that the distributor uses to remove the items from their inventory. We add it to ours.

I don't believe all credit cards are RFID compatible either.

Curly

You guys are looking at this from the wrong perspective. :confused:

In the past everyone that passed your table at a show was a potential customer. :)

Now they are!!! :devil:

Pete :wink: :wink:

ctubbs

Ye gotta get 'em close 'fore it'll work.:confused: So run out and give each a big hug.:wink: Now you got 'em.:eek::biggrin::biggrin:
Charles

MatthewZS

You can actually buy shielded wallets that protect against that, also that ONLY works on the newer cards with an RFID-like chip in them. You know the new ones you can just wave near the card machine.

The good news is there are a number of major banks about to start issuing smart cards with computer chips in them that only give out your info if you've turned them on and keyed in a pin code and they only stay on for a minute or so.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/11/16/dynamics-credit-card-based-computing-platform-makes-what-little/

glycerine

You can actually buy shielded wallets that protect against that, also that ONLY works on the newer cards with an RFID-like chip in them. You know the new ones you can just wave near the card machine.

The good news is there are a number of major banks about to start issuing smart cards with computer chips in them that only give out your info if you've turned them on and keyed in a pin code and they only stay on for a minute or so.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/11/16/dynamics-credit-card-based-computing-platform-makes-what-little/

Geez, with all that trouble, it's much more convient to use good ole CA$H!!!

Andrew Arndts

Copper might be a better shield. When we install an MRI, the room is completely surrounded in copper mesh overlapping many times. This is to cut out all magnetic interference from the outside. It is also much lighter than lead. Copper sheeting can be had at most craft stores.
Charles

hmm, Copper?, I guess I can invest in that...

Andrew Arndts

Geez, with all that trouble, it's much more convient to use good ole CA$H!!!

Just make sure you have that marker that can check to see if the cash is legit.

At a local event a bank had sponsored, they gave out those markers in the vendor packets.

Padre

I remember my Grandfather and Father always talking about "the good old days." Now I find myself saying the same thing.

I just wish that the energy and brain power that many criminals use to do things illegally was put towards trying to better our world. Now that would be really nice place to live.

ctubbs

Padre, we have both seen people that will work twice as hard getting out of work as it would have taken to do the job in the first place. For some, that is just their nature. for others, the nature is get the dang job finished so I can sit in the shade a moment. That is why we have recliners and jails. My $0.02 today.
Charles

Top Bottom