George II Fountain Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from TattooedTurner

I made this as a Christmas gift for my oldest daughter's boyfriend. We met for coffee a few weeks ago when I gave my daughters the rollerballs I made and he mentioned he liked fountain pens. I said I'd make him one for Christmas and got the details. He wanted wood, dark blue or midnight blue, and just a tiny bit of gold. The George II matched his hardware description perfectly. I used a piece of figured maple I cut from a spindle, first dyed it with a diluted black several times, immediately wiping it off each time. I then added blue to the black and did a few coats, then a few coats of concentrated blue. I'm very happy with the resulting color. I really took my time with this one, and followed the advice of others here. I turned it to a fingernail's width of the bushings, then sanded and kept rechecking the diameter with calipers until I was where I needed to be. This is my best effort yet, the transition from barrel to hardware is perfectly smooth. I also like the kit, for $30 it's a very nice deal. The hardware is beautiful and seems of high quality, I'll definitely buy more kits from Classic Nib.

Many thanks to the members here for all the help and advice you give us new guys. I don't think this would've turned out anywhere near this good if it weren't for you.

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OZturner

Spectacular Pen T.T.
Superb Fit and Finish, Love the work you did with the Colours.
A small point with the Photo Close up Function, it doesn't let you get away with anything, the Chrome End Cap, has several marks on it, possibly dust, wet spots, or Finger Marks etc.
These may not be obvious to the natural eye, but the Close up, show's everything.

Great Work, you have now set your Standard.
Congratulations.
Brian.

Thanks for the comments. I'm starting to get the hang of this hobby, and I'm liking it!

Spectacular Pen T.T.
Superb Fit and Finish, Love the work you did with the Colours.
A small point with the Photo Close up Function, it doesn't let you get away with anything, the Chrome End Cap, has several marks on it, possibly dust, wet spots, or Finger Marks etc.
These may not be obvious to the natural eye, but the Close up, show's everything.

Great Work, you have now set your Standard.
Congratulations.
Brian.

I noticed that after I posted it! Needless to say, it got a good cleaning afterwards. Thanks for telling me though, I would've been embarassed to give it to him like that. Thank you for the compliment as well, and yes, I now have a bar to be reached with every pen I make from here on. I hate to sound self gratifying, but I never thought I could do this kind of work. It's not on the level of most here, but for the small amount of experience I have, I'm quite pleased. I've learned that patience is of utmost importance when making pens.

Jay

Top Bottom