Geocaching Trackable Coins

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from KDM

KDM

Using skills I learned while making pens (casting polyester, applying waterslide decals and turning), I decided to manufacture my own geocaching trackable coins.

Lots of face-turning and lots of polishing required!!

Geocaching is a worldwide game, where we use GPS satellite receivers to find treasure. I target it at the children, but in reality, I probably enjoy it more than they do!

Read more here. ( and here's a video.)

Trackable geo coins are a kind of sub-game where we can release these items into caches and then track them as other cachers move them around the world.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SDB777

So you scan the barcode and it does something?

Guess I need to look at the link thingy....I'm really not needing another hobby:eek:

Pretty cool turning, and a good shine on 'em!

Scott (where did I leave that beer) B

McBryde

Geocaching is a cool "game" to play to get kids into geospacial technology. I plan on using it some this year in my classes at school. I'm hoping it grows on them and gets them more involved in it.

E

Steve Busey

Looks like a lot of work goes into those coins - hope you can find an easier way to produce them...

Don't do much hunting now days unless I head out of state. Would like to get a find in all 50 states before I permanently "DNF".

F74Un.jpg

WildThings

Last edited:

KDM

For the uninitiated, trackables are like a sub game in geocaching where the player can discover / grab / move little uniquely trackable objects and watch them move around the world.

NAH no different than discovering a Jeep running down the road with a tracking number on the back window!!

I reckon you should at the very least see, or better still, actually touch a trackable in order to discover it. I bet I could get tens of thousands of folk to discover my trackables just by posting a FaceBook photo. It would feel like such a hack, though!

Like this one Red Jeep Travel Bug and this one Storm Runner .

Yep. Here's mine. Released about 7 weeks ago and no discoveries yet. Maybe I'm being too literal.

Nooo! MUST RESIST! OKay, OKay, I'll create a virtual Personal Geocoin which never does any miles and whose purpose is purely to be discovered by photograph all over the internet. Watch this space.

Top Bottom