Gel refills without tips?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dan Hintz

When I purchase kits from individuals, I tend to pick up large quantities at a time. In one package I picked up a couple of years back there was a large quantity of gel refills... but there was no rollerball tip, just the main body of ink. Anyone know what these are or how they're used? Do they sell the rollerball tips separately somewhere and you stab these gel carriers with it (kind of like the refills for fountain pens)? The instructions, when included, show a gel reservoir with a tip, but I've never seen just the reservoir sold at any of the online stores.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Randy Simmons

Do you have pictures? I guess it would be important to rule out the possibility of them just being a bad batch of inks where someone forgot the tips.

monophoto

A few pen manufacturers offer a roller ball that is refillable using a standard 'international 'fountain pen cartridge. I have a J. Herbin pen that works that way, but I have never seen a rollerball kit pen that is designed to use replaceable cartridges.

Dan Hintz

Sorry, guys, I forgot I posted this question in here (been spending my time going through old threads lately).

I'm a moron, let me get that out of the way right now!

While typing up a longer response that included this pic (from Woodcraft of a Hauser refill, which is what I just received from a member here for Triton RB's):

149893.jpg

...I pulled this refill out of the Triton bag. I thought the brown portion was simply a solid portion of the refill. On a whim I grabbed and twisted, smacking myself in the head when it came off (a freakin' cap!).

Of course, now I was sheepishly heading towards the supply of refills that initially took me down this shameful path. Yep, they had a cap... but in my own defense, the caps were black and blended in really well with the rest of the refill. <sigh> Yeah, I feel pretty stupid right now...

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Unique

Sorry, guys, I forgot I posted this question in here (been spending my time going through old threads lately).

While typing up a longer response that included this pic (from Woodcraft of a Hauser refill, which is what I just received from a member here for Triton RB's):

149893.jpg

...I pulled this refill out of the Triton bag. I thought the brown portion was simply a solid portion of the refill. On a whim I grabbed and twisted, smacking myself in the head when it came off (a freakin' cap!).

Of course, now I was sheepishly heading towards the supply of refills that initially took me down this shameful path. Yep, they had a cap... but in my own defense, the caps were black and blended in really well with the rest of the refill. <sigh> Yeah, I feel pretty stupid right now...
I will have to admith this is the first time I've seen anyone admit to this mistake:biggrin::biggrin:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
If it has a black cap, it's likely a hauser refill - and you're better off with the Schmidt! :)

We all make mistakes - at least yours gave us a chuckle...

I think Schmidt uses them as a color code as to what the point is. Fine points seem to have a different color cap than mediup points.

Dan Hintz

I will have to admith this is the first time I've seen anyone admit to this mistake:biggrin::biggrin:
When I looked at the Tritons I just received, two things immediately came to mind:
1) Oh crap, not this again!
2) Wait, what are the chances it happened to me again?

The different color on the cap prompted me to try and remove it, and now we're here. Once it sunk in what I had just discovered, my head hung lower and lower as I pulled out the old kits... I kinda knew what to expect, but the stubborn side of me said "Please, let them truly be screwups so there's no egg on my face." But alas, 'twasn't meant to be...

Hendu3270

Just about spewed coffee all over my monitor....now that's freakin' funny.

On the bright side.....now you know!:biggrin:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Fair Warning

There are some Parker Style refills that come with a cap too --- they will not work properly or install correctly unless you remove that cap BEFORE installation.:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: I've included a picture so you'll be sure to recognize them if you see one.

easyflow9000 001-1.jpg

Top Bottom