Gauging Interest in a Group Buy for a Custom Tap to Accommodate the Schmidt SKM-192 Click Mechanism

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

hokie

Hi everyone!

Lately I've been steering my kitless pen making away from fountain pens and toward more user friendly click and twist style pens for uncapped ballpoints and rollerballs.

Twist style pens have been easy enough to develop because the transmissions are widely available and the threads are fairly standard. I want to take my pens to the next level and incorporate a click mechanism instead for the ultimate in convenience. It seems Schmidt makes the Cadillac of click mechanisms with their SKM-88 and 192 models. While their SKM-88 is easier to use, it doesn't fit the aesthetic I want in my pens. I know folks have been successful in turning away a lot of the bulky parts of it, but that's not something I'm too interested in doing. I'm also not sure about the ability to make a custom button either.

The SKM-192 appears to be the perfect option for the most flexibility, but unfortunately once Richard Greenwald closed up shop, it seems no one else has ever sold the tap to go along with the unique thread size of M4.2 x 0.35. I did run across this thread where someone suggested getting a #8-72 tap as a close fit, but as my luck would have it, not a single manufacturer makes those anymore either! I want my pens as repairable as possible (even by their owners), so gluing and pressing the mechanism into custom sleeves or couplings isn't super appealing to me.

All that being said, I requested a quote from Tapco for the proper tap size and got the following:
M4.2 x 0.35 6H HSS D3 4FL PLUG for brass

1 pc price = $202.40 each NET
2 pc price = $140.48 each NET
3 pc price = $101.76 each NET
6 pc price = $65.12 each NET
9 pc price = $48.32 each NET
12 pc price = $39.52 each NET
Manufacture time = 4-5 working days​

Can anyone smarter than me confirm these specifications in bold would be suitable? I once bought a bock nib housing tap from a group buy that *should* have been D20 and instead was D3, making the tapped threads too tight and therefore useless. I had no clue that was even a thing! Maybe I could send them a sample SKM-192 to confirm the specifications.

I know there may not be a ton of us out there, but if there are a few who are interested in resurrecting this tap from the grave, we could save a bunch. I'm in for at least two of them regardless of how many others are interested. I'm also willing to manage the whole process. I've reached out to @Monty, the Group Buy Coordinator to make sure I'm doing everything Kosher and this is the first step I've chosen to go before diving in.

Sorry for the wall of text! Looking forward to hearing from anyone interested. Thanks!

d_bondi

I hadn't considered making a kitless click pen, but heck, if you get to the 9+ or better price, I'm in for one.

hertzogcraig

If we can hit at least the 9+, I'm in for one. I've actually got an SKM 192 on the way to check out, didn't even think about the tap for it LOL

hokie

A comment regarding #8-72... m4x.35 is essentially the same & Amazon available (if I didn't fatfinger my calculator)

https://www.amazon.com/Burkit-Thread-Straight-Fluted-Machine/dp/B0B3W5V3VZ
Thanks for sharing! I've seen those around as well. It might seem insignificant, but that extra 0.2mm is huge in terms of fitment at this small scale. I don't have a lot of confidence in it working consistently. In one of the other threads discussing the SKM-192 tap Richard Greenwald used to sell, someone even commented that what they received was a dud because the tap actually measured 4mm across and therefore too tight for the mechanism to fit.
If someone can show me how to make a 4mm tap work, I'd be thrilled!

keithy

Hi everyone!

Lately I've been steering my kitless pen making away from fountain pens and toward more user friendly click and twist style pens for uncapped ballpoints and rollerballs.

Twist style pens have been easy enough to develop because the transmissions are widely available and the threads are fairly standard. I want to take my pens to the next level and incorporate a click mechanism instead for the ultimate in convenience. It seems Schmidt makes the Cadillac of click mechanisms with their SKM-88 and 192 models. While their SKM-88 is easier to use, it doesn't fit the aesthetic I want in my pens. I know folks have been successful in turning away a lot of the bulky parts of it, but that's not something I'm too interested in doing. I'm also not sure about the ability to make a custom button either.

The SKM-192 appears to be the perfect option for the most flexibility, but unfortunately once Richard Greenwald closed up shop, it seems no one else has ever sold the tap to go along with the unique thread size of M4.2 x 0.35. I did run across this thread where someone suggested getting a #8-72 tap as a close fit, but as my luck would have it, not a single manufacturer makes those anymore either! I want my pens as repairable as possible (even by their owners), so gluing and pressing the mechanism into custom sleeves or couplings isn't super appealing to me.

All that being said, I requested a quote from Tapco for the proper tap size and got the following:
M4.2 x 0.35 6H HSS D3 4FL PLUG for brass

1 pc price = $202.40 each NET
2 pc price = $140.48 each NET
3 pc price = $101.76 each NET
6 pc price = $65.12 each NET
9 pc price = $48.32 each NET
12 pc price = $39.52 each NET
Manufacture time = 4-5 working days​

Can anyone smarter than me confirm these specifications in bold would be suitable? I once bought a bock nib housing tap from a group buy that *should* have been D20 and instead was D3, making the tapped threads too tight and therefore useless. I had no clue that was even a thing! Maybe I could send them a sample SKM-192 to confirm the specifications.

I know there may not be a ton of us out there, but if there are a few who are interested in resurrecting this tap from the grave, we could save a bunch. I'm in for at least two of them regardless of how many others are interested. I'm also willing to manage the whole process. I've reached out to @Monty, the Group Buy Coordinator to make sure I'm doing everything Kosher and this is the first step I've chosen to go before diving in.

Sorry for the wall of text! Looking forward to hearing from anyone interested. Thanks!
I;ll be it it for 1 x unit

PatrickR

@hokie
I have one from RG, it is marked "M4.2 X .035 HS GD-3"
I cant say what the difference is from what you specified. This tap is not a plug tap, although it wouldn't matter in plastics it may in metal.

hokie

@hokie
I have one from RG, it is marked "M4.2 X .035 HS GD-3"
I cant say what the difference is from what you specified. This tap is not a plug tap, although it wouldn't matter in plastics it may in metal.
Oh, nice! Does it actually work?? haha. I might just ask Tapco to clarify the specification differences/similarities.

d_bondi

I think we've reached the point where we're safe doing an "official" group buy posting and getting the best discount possible! Thanks so much, everyone. This was beyond my expectations.
I'll work with the group buy coordinator to formally initiate things.
Thanks for getting it out there Jeremy!

hokie

Actually I have not used it yet. I will do a test. my plan is like yours, add custom clickers to my line.
Please do test if you're able! I actually just shot out an email in response to Tapco's quote asking about a titanium coating option as well as the difference between the specs I got and the ones you have on your tap. If yours doesn't work like the one @Pierre--- purchased from Richard back in the day, then maybe we want to avoid matching it too closely. haha. I also asked if I can just send them the parts to confirm my specs. That would be ideal.
I would be devastated if an entire order of taps just didn't work :(

PatrickR

Please do test if you're able! I actually just shot out an email in response to Tapco's quote asking about a titanium coating option as well as the difference between the specs I got and the ones you have on your tap. If yours doesn't work like the one @Pierre--- purchased from Richard back in the day, then maybe we want to avoid matching it too closely. haha. I also asked if I can just send them the parts to confirm my specs. That would be ideal.
I would be devastated if an entire order of taps just didn't work :(
i will do a test and let you know. I made a typo in the specs earlier. It is X .35 not .035. There is a part number on it - 360489

Dieseldoc

Here is what my tap says and have been using it for several years building pen with the SKM192
Got tap from a IAP group purchase several years ago tap M4.2x0.35 6H-HSS part number 8221 which may be job or invoice number. tap is NOT plug tap
. Works great on alum, Brass and plastic.
IMG_0689.jpg

Last edited:

hokie

Here is what my tap says and have been using it for several years building pen with the SKM192
Got tap from a IAP group purchase several years ago tap mM4.2x0.35 6H-HSS part number 8221 which may be job or invoice number. Not tap is NOT pul tap but bottom tap. Works great on alum, Brass and plastic.
Great info. Thank you! Do you think it matters if the tap is plug or bottoming when it comes to fitment? I would assume everyone has to do a through hole anyway, so having a little ramp up to full thread engagement might be ideal to keep things centered.

Dieseldoc

Great info. Thank you! Do you think it matters if the tap is plug or bottoming when it comes to fitment? I would assume everyone has to do a through hole anyway, so having a little ramp up to full thread engagement might be ideal to keep things centered.
I would think plug makes it easer to start and keep it aligned.

Dieseldoc

Tip for using the SKM192, beings it screws in fro the bottom up and if your clip cap is pressed in you can't get to it if it comes loose. That was a problem with the Grove until the changed the clip cap to a screw in rather that a press in.
So the fix is to use a very small drop of red loctight threat sealer. Being careful not to get any on the plunger of the SKM 192, only on the out side threads the screw into the cap retainer.

hokie

I would like one if its not to late to join in.
No worries. I'm still drafting the official announcement post for approval by the group buy coordinator. I'll make sure the open period to make a request is for several days at least. I will tag everyone who expressed interest in this thread in the official information posting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom