Gauging interest- Abranet Bulk Buy

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

W3DRM

While we're patiently waiting :)biggrin:) for the orders to arrive, I was thinking about the product and wondering if there is anything different about this than regular sandpaper other than it being open mesh. For example, are the grits the same as regular SP? The PSI description indicates it is extremely aggressive. Would you use a finer grit of this than regular SP? Any tips or usage experience would be appreciated.

dalemcginnis

Local Chapter Leader
Don:

I have found that the abranet is extremely aggressive and at the same time leaves a finer finish than the equivalent grade of sandpaper. The highest grit of abranet I have used so far is 320. When I have sanded with regular 400 grit paper after the abranet I did not like the way it looks as much as if I just stopped with the abranet. As a result the only thing I use to sand after the abranet is micro mesh. I will be very interested to see what results I get with the 400 grit abranet.

By the way I bought 4 sheets each of 120, 180, 240, 320 abranet over a year ago. I have used them for bowls, pens and other stuff on the lathe. I have sanded with the lathe on high, low and in between I have abused them in every way possible and they are still going strong. The only time I use traditional sandper is when I need a grit I don't have in abranet.

W3DRM

Don:

I have found that the abranet is extremely aggressive and at the same time leaves a finer finish than the equivalent grade of sandpaper. The highest grit of abranet I have used so far is 320. When I have sanded with regular 400 grit paper after the abranet I did not like the way it looks as much as if I just stopped with the abranet. As a result the only thing I use to sand after the abranet is micro mesh. I will be very interested to see what results I get with the 400 grit abranet.

By the way I bought 4 sheets each of 120, 180, 240, 320 abranet over a year ago. I have used them for bowls, pens and other stuff on the lathe. I have sanded with the lathe on high, low and in between I have abused them in every way possible and they are still going strong. The only time I use traditional sandper is when I need a grit I don't have in abranet.

Thanks Dale - I have used a mesh style sandpaper years ago and seem to remember that it was very aggressive and that you had to be very careful with it because it would cut much quicker than standard paper or cloth backed sandpaper. The lifespan of abranet it particularly attractive as I do a lot of sanding on my projects.

jskeen

hey Lyle, just out of curiosity, how big did this buy turn out to be? You get any reaction from the other end when you placed it?

James

lwalden

hey Lyle, just out of curiosity, how big did this buy turn out to be? You get any reaction from the other end when you placed it?

James
James, we had 49 participants this time around, compared to 28 participants when I did this in '07, and 26 participants in '06. Actual volume was only about 10% more than the '07 bulk purchase, which was about 15% larger than the '06. I believe a number of these folk's customers for the abranet sheets are paint and body shops, and I'd guess they order in a pretty good volume- the sales guy I worked with didn't indicate this was an unusual volume order for them.

lwalden

According to Fed-Ex tracking number 004869710038798, this has been sitting at my front door since 1:15 this afternoon.....though I bet my wife has drug it inside, already.

Apparently their shipping area was closed the last week of the year, so it wasn't until last Monday that they got the order, realized they needed to get a few additional boxes of the 320 and 400 grits from Mirka, ordered and received those last week and reshipped to me early this week. I'm off tomorrow, so should get most everyone's orders out in Saturday's mail.

Lyle,
Thanks for putting this together and managing all the orders! Mine was waiting for me when I got home-I've never used this type of paper-very unusual.
Thanks!

Daniel

Got my order just fine, Thanks for doing this. I have never seen abranet before. never would have given it a second thought had I seen it on a shelf at the hardware store. Wispy little cotton stuff. but with the comments here about it I am anxious to give it a try.

lwalden

Sounds like most everyone has gotten their shipment. For those of you that have not used this product before, if possible I'd appreciate hearing back from you on what you think of it. Thanks, everyone!
Got mine two days ago. Thanks again for doing the group purchase! Will give it a tryout this afternoon.

stolicky

Hey, I got my package. I have yet to use them though. They look pretty nice and appear easy to clean; even easier than the Abralon pads I have.

Thanks again.

GouletPens

I got mine but haven't used it yet. However, I've been using Abranet in the circular disks for over a year now and WILL NOT switch back. The stuff rocks. I love how I can use it and just blow the dust out with the air hose and it's like a whole new sheet. I bought 30 of 3 different grits and I'll use every single one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom