Gatsby vs Sierra vs Wall St II vs...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

vakmere

Gatsby vs Sierra vs Wall St II

In my eye these look identical save a ring or two. They take the same bushings and drill bit size. Are these indeed the same pen kits under different names?

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OKLAHOMAN

Berea Hardwoods is the company that first named it the Sierra, and has it as a registered name so even though the others are clones of it the names have to be different. BTW most if not all are made by different manufactures.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Only the Berea sierra is made by Berea's factory in Taiwan. Berea sells to WoodCraft, so the Wall Street II and III (sierra vista) are also identical (although there MAY be a difference in the plating) to Berea.

The rest are made elsewhere. Some claim Taiwan, many are Chinese.

BTW, this also means the transmissions are NOT interchangeable. The size and threading is NOT common from one manufacturer to the next.

Last edited:

vakmere

Only the Berea sierra is made by Berea's factory in Taiwan. Berea sells to WoodCraft, so the Wall Street II and III (sierra vista) are also identical (although there MAY be a difference in the plating) to Berea.

BTW, this also means the transmissions are NOT interchangeable. The size and threading is NOT common from one manufacturer to the next.

Thank you, I also see the pricing is slightly different for those kits depending who you get them from.

Kenny Durrant

Without going into details of the manufacturer the difference that makes me choose between the kits are these. I don't care for the Gatsby because the brass tube is part of the housing for the ink cartridge. Therefore if you trim the brass tube too much the ink cartridge will not retract all the way. The Sierra is a nice pen for the price but I really like the Wall St.2 Elegant. It's twice the price but a really nice kit. Also to be fair to the other suppliers these are the only ones I've delt with.

sbell111

Without going into details of the manufacturer the difference that makes me choose between the kits are these. I don't care for the Gatsby because the brass tube is part of the housing for the ink cartridge. Therefore if you trim the brass tube too much the ink cartridge will not retract all the way.
It should be noted that not all Gatsby's are the same. Some are as you describe while others are Sierra clones.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager

Thank you, I also see the pricing is slightly different for those kits depending who you get them from.

Berea has many resellers, each of whom is independent and can price as we choose. I think we are all very close, but one may be a few cents higher or lower on any one style kit.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Without going into details of the manufacturer the difference that makes me choose between the kits are these. I don't care for the Gatsby because the brass tube is part of the housing for the ink cartridge. Therefore if you trim the brass tube too much the ink cartridge will not retract all the way. The Sierra is a nice pen for the price but I really like the Wall St.2 Elegant. It's twice the price but a really nice kit. Also to be fair to the other suppliers these are the only ones I've delt with.

The Wall Street II Elegant is the Berea Elegant Beauty (Prod #8502). If you buy more than a couple at a time, they CAN become price competitive.

But, if you buy small quantities, there is certainly an advantage to going to your local WoodCraft---especially if they have a well-trained staff, as the one in Milwaukee does!!

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Notes ....

Gatsby is NOT the same as Sierra. Externally it looks the same but under the hood it is completely different. The Gatsby uses a finial twist transmission,hence assembly and the inner workings are very different.

Personally, I don't believe that any version of this kit under any name is a bit more or less sensitive to tube length than any other and they are all fairly sensitive.

As others have mentioned, this style is popular and is manufactured in several places both in Tailand and main land China. Where they are made probably has less impact on how well made they are than most people imagine. If I tell a manufacturer that lowest cost is the objective they will do things differently than if I tell them best fit, finish and plating
is the major objective not cost.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Without going into details of the manufacturer the difference that makes me choose between the kits are these. I don't care for the Gatsby because the brass tube is part of the housing for the ink cartridge. Therefore if you trim the brass tube too much the ink cartridge will not retract all the way.
It should be noted that not all Gatsby's are the same. Some are as you describe while others are Sierra clones.
Steve. I don't know of any Gatsby that would qualify as a Sierra clone with the possible exception of the click version. As far as I know every twist Gatsby is finial operated and every twist Sierra is barrel
operated. In either case it makes no difference, if you shorten the tube you will run into problems in retracting all the way.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam

Dayacom, makes a number of versions of these under different names. They are Tiawanese and claim their manufacturers are also Taiwanese....

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Just to be clear, the sierra is NOT real "tube-length sensitive". There is a good quarter inch behind the transmission that is "air space". So, you COULD trim off nearly that much and it would still function properly.

This is ONE of the main differences between finial twist and twist at the nib.

Smitty's statement is probably correct if you refer to ONLY the Gatsby---I am NOT that familiar with that kit.

sbell111

Steve. I don't know of any Gatsby that would qualify as a Sierra clone with the possible exception of the click version. As far as I know every twist Gatsby is finial operated and every twist Sierra is barrel
operated. In either case it makes no difference, if you shorten the tube you will run into problems in retracting all the way.

You are correct. I was thinking of one supplier who I though called their's a gatsby, but I was mistaken.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Just to be clear, the sierra is NOT real "tube-length sensitive". There is a good quarter inch behind the transmission that is "air space". So, you COULD trim off nearly that much and it would still function properly.

This is ONE of the main differences between finial twist and twist at the nib.

Smitty's statement is probably correct if you refer to ONLY the Gatsby---I am NOT that familiar with that kit.
I have to apologize...I forgot how the transmission attaches on a Sierra.

76winger

The Gastby wasn't always final twist:
To my recollection, when I started turning pens in 2008, the Gatsby was operated by twisting the lower section, just like the Sierra's and clones. Somewhere around a year or so later a batch I ordered was marked as Gatsby v2 and had a finial twist operation, which has remained through today as far as I know (I haven't ordered any in a year or so).

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam

The Gastby wasn't always final twist:
To my recollection, when I started turning pens in 2008, the Gatsby was operated by twisting the lower section, just like the Sierra's and clones. Somewhere around a year or so later a batch I ordered was marked as Gatsby v2 and had a finial twist operation, which has remained through today as far as I know (I haven't ordered any in a year or so).
It is true that they've stayed the same. I started ordering them in 2010 and they were finial twist.

Top Bottom