Gatsby - Molten Metal

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from RSidetrack

RSidetrack

I just finished turning this pen - its the Gatsby kit with Gold TN accents. I was debating which finish to use - I was torn between Gun Metal and the Gold TN - both looked good, but I think the Gold TN fits the pen better. Though it doesn't have as much contrast as the Gun Metal - it just looks like they belong.

The acrylic was the Molten Metal that you can get from Penn State Industries. It was a very hard to turn acrylic - harder than any I have turned yet. I cracked one - badly - so it was done, and then one had micro-cracks that I used some CA to bond, thankfully they are extremely hard to notice as they fit in with the color changes within the acrylic. I was trying to make this pen out of the Blue Green Ocean - I messed up the entire blank - very brittle.

I quickly shot these pictures without fully setting up my photo booth and tripod etc - that is why you can see some PVC and shadows.

Anyway - without further ado

Attachments

• Gatsby-1.jpg
    Gatsby-1.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 215
  • Gatsby-2.jpg
    Gatsby-2.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 112
  • Gatsby-3.jpg
    Gatsby-3.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 231
  • Gatsby-4.jpg
    Gatsby-4.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 131
  • Gatsby-5.jpg
    Gatsby-5.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 115
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RMckin5324

The pen is great, really nice. This is one of my sons favorite blanks, I've made him like 4 pens from it, its really beautiful.

JAZNCARR

Nice pen I bought 10 of those acrylester motlen blanks and shattered 4 of the blanks and gave the rest of them away......

RSidetrack

Nice pen I bought 10 of those acrylester motlen blanks and shattered 4 of the blanks and gave the rest of them away......
Yes - they are an extreme PITA - I broke one just dropping it 2 feet - luckily it broke right in the middle so there isn't really a loss - it is where I would have cut anyway. Still - real pain to turn - so easy to crack.

Top Bottom