Gasket problem

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I have an old Sears 2.5 gallon pressure pot my dad had but the gasket was bad so I ordered another. I installed the new gasket with some silicone grease but it keeps blowing out before it reaches the pressure it is suppose to hold. What can be done to fix this besides getting a new pot. The gasket was from sears and it fit great but it is a little softer material than the old harder rubber one.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

frank123

My approach would be to form a new gasket in the lid using -if you can find it- one of the Neoprene or Silicon rubber building sealants such as Dow 795. Takes a few days to cure but makes an extremely durable sealing gasket that is impervious to almost anything and permanently bonds itself to almost anything (I once sealed a hole that got punched in a jeep gas tank and it was still good as new several years later when I got rid of it).

It comes in caulking type tubes and is applied with a caulking gun, you can smooth it to a very fine surface using your finger dipped in mineral spirits (and can clean up any excess or drip the same with the spirits as well). It even comes in colors. You usually find it by calling around to commercial suppliers that deal with building maintenance and repair trade products. It is superior to something like RTV sealants to an extreme degree and doesn't stink while curing.

You might try just skipping the grease first though, since it will make the rubber a little more likely to grab against the metal of the lid instead of slipping out.

Last edited:

ElMostro

Wipe the grease off the gasket. The grease makes it slippery and if the lid is not built to retain the gasket properly the pressure will push it out when you least expect it. If the tank is pressurized and the gasket slips it may let the air out with enough force to flip the tank and then you really have a mess.

Eugene.

Justturnin

I agree on removing the grease as well. I have one pot that the gasket sits flush with the walls that hold it in and it can push out pretty easy of it is not centered exact. Very frustrating but you learn to live with it I guess.

Top Bottom