Gas fire ignitor

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from BradG

BradG

One of my friends had been phoning around various different repair stores trying to find a replacement ignitor knob for his gas fire, as the D shaped plastic slot underneith which the ignitor shaft slotted into had cracked and fallen to pieces no longer gripping the shaft when they tried to turn it.

They were struggling as the fire had been discontinued and no one had any parts for that model anymore. Luckily i overheard him on the phone and managed to get hold of the broken piece.

Theres not much to look at in the pictures, but here's what the job entailed:

Turn a piece of aluminium down to 10mm, and drilled it out 6mm to accomodate the width of the shaft. half way down the 10mm length i drilled and tapped a hole, to accomodate a 4mm grub screw, wwhich can be tightened down onto the flat of the D shaped shaft.

After the 13mm long 10mm section, i turned the remaining 19mm of length down to 6mm, and then mounted it on my mill, to remove 2mm of the width with an end cutter turning the 6mm round bar into a D shape.

After cutting off the broken shards of plastic where the D shape tube used to be, i could see at the base of the mould that the other side venturing up into the head of the handle was hollow. after some scraping and filing i managed to reveal a nice D shaped tube leading up the head of the knob which i could insert my newly turned D shaft into which was nice and snug, aided with a helping hand of a few turns of a vice to push it in.

Mission accomplished :)

My friend and his wife has heating again just in time for winter.

Attachments

• pic1.jpg
    pic1.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 159
  • pic3.jpg
    pic3.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 139
Top Bottom