Garage Heat suggestions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Crashmph

Hi All,

I have a new two car garage and no heat. I am about to blow cellulose in the walls for insulation, and then foam board on the garage door.

After that I need some kind of heat. I have natural gas in the house for an option. What do you guys think would be a good solution.

I was thinking of a gas heater that is safe for wood shops and vents outside.

Michael

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wild Turkey

Michael,

I tried using gas or propane to heat my shop one winter. To expensive, then I installed a Dayton 220V electric heater with a thermostatic control and does it ever do the job. Turn it down a little when not in shop and then just a little bit up when going in to shop to work. Nice blower fan with it so it doesn't take long to want to work in just a shirt. Just my 2 cents worth.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Michael,

I tried using gas or propane to heat my shop one winter. To expensive, then I installed a Dayton 220V electric heater with a thermostatic control and does it ever do the job. Turn it down a little when not in shop and then just a little bit up when going in to shop to work. Nice blower fan with it so it doesn't take long to want to work in just a shirt. Just my 2 cents worth.
I would agree with what John did . Clean, efficient and no open flame .

Mickey

How about a wall mounted heat pump. Mitsubishi makes one called a "Mr. Slim". I have one in my family room and it works great.

Daniel

I use to very small electric heaters I got from Wal Mart for around 20ish dollars each. they keep my 16X20 shop snug and warm around the clock and do not break the bank to do it. The shop is also well insulated. a good idea of just how well is to say you can barely hear my Dust collector running when standing outside my shop when the doors and window are closed. I built the shop like it was a house. I don't ever have to worry about running out of fuel either.

GoodTurns

I use to very small electric heaters I got from Wal Mart for around 20ish dollars each. they keep my 16X20 shop snug and warm around the clock and do not break the bank to do it.

very similar...small ceramic heater from Home Depot...$20-25...turn it on half an hour before i go to shop...toasty warm when I get there. approx 300 sq ft shop...

medemt

I installed a PTAC unit in my shop. Since my shop is half of a building (garage on the other side) I simply have the part that would be external, inside the garage. They not very expensive. Got mine on Ebay new for $500. Mine actually has a heat pump with electrical heat back up. My shop is 25' x 20' and it works very well. Also doubles as an A/C unit in the summer.

You typically install them through an outside wall. If you are not sure what these are, they are hotel room units.

http://www.ptacunits.com/

Dan

I was just offered one of those oil type radiator shaped heaters for my shop.. no charge... just about to get dressed and take a drive to pick it up... my little wallmart heater gave up the ghost just before the cold weather set in... the elements would still heat, but the fan was frozen up... probably from all the dust.

bgray

With my 3 car garage, I use both a propane furnace, and a woodstove. I highly recommend it.

I went with propane to avoid the cost of burying a natural gas line. Also, I like to separate my business heat and personal heating for tax reasons.

The furnace runs only about 15-20 mins a day, just to "kick-start" the heat.

By the time that the furnace gets the shop up to about 50, then the woodstove is roaring, and will sustain and/or bring me up to as warm as I want.

I go through about 2 ricks of wood a season, at $50 per rick. I only fill my propane tank once every two years, at about $500. And there's usually plenty of scrap wood, cardboard, paper, etc. to burn.

If I went with the woodstove alone, it would take a couple of hours each day to get the temperature up to a comfy 60+. Either that, or keep feeding the stove day and night, which would use up a lot of wood.

If I went with the furnace alone, I would have some pretty high propane bills.

So with a heating bill of around $350 per season(and I'm full time, working some weekends), this is very economical.

Last edited:

glycerine

Hi All,

I have a new two car garage and no heat. I am about to blow cellulose in the walls for insulation, and then foam board on the garage door.

After that I need some kind of heat. I have natural gas in the house for an option. What do you guys think would be a good solution.

I was thinking of a gas heater that is safe for wood shops and vents outside.

Michael

I'll tell you this. Your house is probably wired better than the townhouse we are in, but I bought a SMALL electric heater and if I have that on along with a holgen work light and try to use my lathe and shop vac (for dust collection), it'll trip the breaker. The wiring is aweful, so I'd go with wood or gas...

workinforwood

I like the way you think..gas heater, vents outside, perfect! I have the Modine Hot Dawg, which is gas, vented and mounts directly flush to the ceiling rather than suspended from hangers, which is an awesome thing because it keeps the heater out of the way. It's a great heater and can vent right out the wall..it's designed to heat your workshop safely and efficiently. Option 2 would be to head on down to the Smokin Hot Memphis Barbeque for some hot wings..that'll save you some money, but you'll be feeling it for days!

Druid

Michael,
I live about 45 mins South of you near Draken, I too have a two car garage that is not insulated. I use a wood pellet stove, it heats my shop the entire Winter for about $170 in wood pellets. It does such a good job I literally wear shorts most of the time while in the shop and open the garage door to heat the first floor. If you would like to take a look, let me know.

Druid

Michael,
Here is a pic of the pellet stove I have in my garage that I use for my shop, it doesnt take any room and is eco-friendly as well as economical.

Attachments

• pellet.jpg
    pellet.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 109

jwoodwright

I have it's "big brother" and those Gas Forced Air Garage Heathers work! I keep mine on 60 degrees F. My garage is insulated and sheet rocked. Minus 20 degrees F outside and I'm in a t-shirt! I turn it up to 65 degrees when it minus 40 degrees or worst. Not often. The gas bill for heating the shop 24/7 is negligible...

Check with your utility, they'll tell you which is a better deal in your area. May be an Energy Rebate as well!

Hogdriver

Michael,

You have lots of good suggestions here. Like your plans, I did the wall insulation and rigid foam in the garage doors. That's half the battle. I then picked up a Dayton 220v and it works very well in my shop.

I chose it for ease of installation, relative cost of electricity to natural gas in my area and quick heat. It hangs nicely from the ceiling and I'll take it will me if we ever move. Also, some say that non-exhausting gas heaters will increase the moisture content and therefor the potential for rust in your shop.

Good luck,
HD

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
I keep a car in half my shop so I just let it run for a half hour and the shop stays nice and warm.:clown: I always get so sleepy in my shop though...............

This was meant as a joke, don't do it, it wastes gas......:biggrin:

I heat with wood due to the nature of what I do(more wood then I know what to do with),but would use other sources if not for my supply of wood(and cost).I just made a 55 gallon drum stove and it works great for my chilly Michigan nights I can fill it up at about 10 at night and come in the garage at 8 AM to at least 60 degrees.Good luck,Victor

Top Bottom