Game Calls

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from texasfootball21

Seeing as I live in Texas, I figured adding game calls to my pen inventory would be a smart move. Not only do I think they will sell, but I would like to shake up my turning with something other then a pen. A man can only make so many pens before he has to get a little diversity.

I was wondering if anyone has any good tips or information on turning these. I will order from CSUSA and am not sure on the whole process.

Also, what is the difference between the metal and plastic components on the inside? Which is higher quality?

I was thinking a pre-cut blank would be nice to ease me into the process. What finish works well?

Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Joe,
HUT has a better selection of reeds and game call kits... most of the time you'll get turning instructions with your kits, so just follow them and you won't have any problems.. I've turned lots of game calls, duck calls, deer grunts, elk bugles, etc... they are easy and lots of fun.

Can't answer question about the reeds... I've not tried to use the metal reeds yet.. just from perception, I think the metal reeds would be better, but I've never had a complaint about the plastic reeds...

For blanks, I buy woods from CSUSA... 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 x 10 or 12 inches.. usually pretty good price and you can cut yourself.. you'll get two calls from each stick. Also it's a lot cheaper than going for the pre-cut blanks.

Check out my web site to see my game calls.

fernhills

I have to try them , i bought a book at Woodcraft on them and all. I am very interested in making them. I guess the only way to get started is to buy a kit and go at it.

TribalRR

Check out customcalls.com lots of info on alot of different calls. I also would recomend not using the pen mandrel to turn them. The rubber pieces give too much to turn them true.

HawksFeather

Dang, finally a topic that I can actually speak intelligently about. If you are interested in getting started there are some a couple of places that will help. One is Custom Predator Call Makers and Collectors Association. http://www.custompredatorcallassociation.com/ You will only get to the front of the site without signing up. With the number of spammers we have made registration a requirement and IP addresses with spam history are denied. The other site that you will want to visit is THO's. http://www.thogamecalls.com/ This will take you to the front page and you can click on custom call making tutorials for more information than you will find on most sites. Al has many great tutorials, complete with pictures, of how to make calls and related items like lanyards.

Hopefully you are not planning on getting rich making predator calls. Unlike some other calls, predator calls are relatively cheap with many excellent calls being sold for $35 to $45. Then there are the "pen blank" calls (no insult directed to pen makers) made from pen blanks that can be bought for $10 to $15. I am not a fan of pen blanks for predator calls, but it is a personal thing for me.

Hut does have kits and they are a way to start. They also have individual reeds, but they don't carry the JC Products reeds that are pretty much the "industry standard." There are also various places that you can get the call guts without the need of the kit. You just need to decide if you are planning to make open reed calls or enclosed (closed) reed calls for additional sources.

I am relatively sure that you will have more questions, but this will get you started.

Jerry
http://www.hawksfeathercustompredatorcalls.com/

HawksFeather

Well, they were there. I just love the way things happen. I know that some people were having problems with Outlook or something like that. Then it started with Firefox and was fixed. Haven't had that problem for many months, but I just checked and can't see them now that I have updated to the latest Firefox again. I will have my techie check things out and see what can be done. One person had problems at work, but not at home and found out that the problem was the firewall that the business had. Here are a couple so you can get an idea.

BurlBlackwood.jpg

Dymondwood.jpg

RosewoodBurl.jpg

Jerry

Last edited:

Woodlvr

I double that "Thanks" to Jerry for the links. You have some beautiful products on your website, I hope if I make them that they look half as nice as yours.

Top Bottom