fun with Dymondwood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from DB in VT

DB in VT

I've been playing around with some smaller pieces of Dymondwood that I was able to procure. The first one of these was my first attempt to work with composites, mixing some aluminum into the blank. It's not perfect but everyone that has seen it has expressed interest.
The second piece was created by glueing the smaller pieces of Dymondwood into something thick enough to cut at an angle. The blank was turned and matched to a Patrizio kit from PSI. That pen was snapped up by a co-worker almost immediately.
One nice thing about the Dymondwood is that there is no finish applied the the pens. I finish sand them with the micro mesh pads and them buff them. That's it.

Attachments

• IMG_3068.JPG
    IMG_3068.JPG
    93.7 KB · Views: 320
  • IMG_3078.JPG
    IMG_3078.JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 289

OZturner

Two Glorious Pens, Dennis.
A Fantastic Segmented Blank, with Aluminium, and I Love the Angled Segmented Dymondwood, Spectacular.
Excellent Fit, and Good MM Finish, but not knowing anything about Dymondwood, I naturally have some Reservations, about the Long Term Durability, without any Sealing Finish.
Congratulations,
Brian.

DB in VT

The company that made Dymondwood burned in 2014. Their products were so heavily infused with polymers that the material is more plastic than wood. The density of Dymondwood is comparable to brass. It was heavily used for pistol grips, duck calls and other things subject to harsh environments.
There is actually nothing to seal up. If it gets scratched all you have to do if buff it again. In fact, although I sand it to the full micro mesh sanding spectrum, you can get a really good finish if you only sand to 320.

Top Bottom