From the Land of Cumber!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from RAdams

RAdams

Banned
Cumberland Ebonite on 10K gold JG roller.

I wish my picture taking skills could show the beauty of this piece. AWESOME MATERIAL!

I have been having a BLAST with all these weird and new (to me) materials... Trustone, Ebonite, and the Alt. stuff from exotics.

Another pic (Alt. Amber on gold Ti. JG) on the way later today or tomorrow!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RAdams

Banned
oops,,, Forgot the pic...

Attachments

• 1_cumberland_rollerball.JPG
    1_cumberland_rollerball.JPG
    40.9 KB · Views: 271

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
PMs exchanged, but short answer: There are two schools of thought on ebonite. Some believe you should coat it with lacquer or some other finish.

I'm in the second camp that thinks its been around for many years in pens that were left "uncoated", so I don't think it requires a finish.

I tell customers to clean and apply a wax occasionally. I don't expect they WILL, but that's what I tell them, anyway.

RAdams

Banned
Thank Ya Todd!

I made a little mistake that i just caught...

Ths kit is a Gold Ti. The 10K gold kit is the Alt Amber i just posted!

jttheclockman

That looks like a great blank and you did it proud. Thanks for showing. If you want a better photo then lose the background color and shoot it on a plain white piece of paper. You will automatically improve the photo because the blank won't be competeing with the background. When you figure ut your camera settings to use color then go there.

RAdams

Banned
Thank ya!

And a quick correction, this kit is the Gold Ti. The 10K is the Amber pen i just posted a little bit ago.

John, thanks for the photo tips! The background is actually white believe it or not. I tried to use a bedsheet to diffuse sunlight and this is the outcome. I am still working on my photo taking skills, and am getting closer. Take a look at my other pen (triple Yipee). the photo is a bit better.... getting closer!

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Ron,

Your software should have something for color balance. Put a small piece of gray felt or something in the edge of the photo. Then click on that (or whatever your particular software calls for) to balance your color.

Hope this helps. Nice work! I've got a piece of Cumberland rod that I am waiting for the lacquer to cure so I can assemble it. From my perspective, I think that the lacquer brings out the color of the ebonite more than leaving it without a finish.

Top Bottom