Freezing cold sharpening tool

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Joe S.

I'm looking into a tormek-like sharpener from grizzly:
T10097 8" Grinder / Sharpener
I heard the motor is not as powerful as it could be, but I have another problem I'm trying to work out. In the winter I heat the shop with a propane heater but it's only on while I'm there, when I'm not there every thing freezes. I know your not supposed to leave the stone in the water but I'm not sure what I would need to do for winter... Any ideas?

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctubbs

Joe, I have had one for a couple of years now. I have had no problems with the sharpener's power. However, I would rather have bought the jugs from tormek. Their documentation is much better than Griz's on how to use the tool holding devices. Tormek jigs fit the Griz just fine.
Charles

Curly

You could get an old refrigerator that has had the freon properly removed and recycled. With the light switch bypassed so that it is on when the fridge door is shut. You can then store the whetstones, grinder, glues etc., in it to keep them from freezing. Don't get it mixed up with your beer fridge though. Warm beer, Yuck!

SDB777

You could get an old refrigerator that has had the freon properly removed and recycled. With the light switch bypassed so that it is on when the fridge door is shut. You can then store the whetstones, grinder, glues etc., in it to keep them from freezing. Don't get it mixed up with your beer fridge though. Warm beer, Yuck!

Ah......some of the best beer on the planet is served warm. Only inferior beers need to be cold to hide the true taste.....

Scott

Joe S.

BSea

I would only put water in it while using it and then drain it afterwards.
I agree with this. Plus, I've heard that if you leave the stone in water, then it will be out of balance when you use it. I don't know this from experience, only something I remember reading. It may not be that big of a problem based on the speed of the grinder though.

Ah......some of the best beer on the planet is served warm. Only inferior beers need to be cold to hide the true taste.....
Scott
I guess I only like inferior beer.:rolleyes:

Fred

The stone wil be off blanace after sitting in the water .... but only for the first couple of spins then it will be wet all around. The speed is not so severe that any 'damage' would be noted.

As for freezing, just drain and 'spin' as has already been stated.

NEVER use any thing but water when sharpening. Add nothing but more water as needed.

TerryDowning

Scott

Let's not confuse "Warm" with "Cellar Temperature" 45 - 55 degrees F while warmer than typical "American beer" < 40 F it's Hardly Warm.

Let that same great beer get above 75 F (warm) and it will skunk off in a hurry!! IMHO

Cellar Temp on many beers is definitely better than freezing cold like typical american beer. again IMHO.

Back to topic

Joe S.

I'm on a pretty strict budget (hence grizzly) and I'm wondering if anyone knows where or how to get a fingernail bowl gouge jig for around $30? And is the grizzly turners accessory pack worth it? I saw it's on sale for $6 cheaper. And thank you to everyone who already gave advice!

Joe S.

Nevermind about buying one, just figured out how to make one. But I'm still not sure about the grizzly turning set...

Top Bottom