Freedom Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott

Hi Everybody!

I have been trying to "spread the word" about penturning, and I guess it's starting to work!

One of the other forums I participate on, a woodworking forum called Sawmill Creek, has begun a wonderful project that deserves our support, if not our participation! They call it Freedom Pens!

They are trying to raise as many turned pens as possible to give to our servicemen overseas. Here is a link to a temporary page that tells more about it:

http://www.oldrebelworkshop.com/freedom_pens.htm

I have a pack of ten comfort pen kits just laying around - I think I'll try turning them this weekend and send them off. It certainly isn't going to hurt me to get some lathe time!

What do you think?

Scott.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Daniel

Scott,
Thanks for repeating this, or at least I think you are repeating it here. it sounds familiar from the other groups.
last July 4th I made 20 red white and blue pens that I called freedom pens.
now I know what to do with them.

Daniel

Scott,
I boxed up the pens this morning, i could only fit 15 in the box though.
richard also gave the effort a headline position on the yahoo group.
I e-mailed the group and mentioned other ways I can help out so hopefully I will hear back about more that I can do. I liked your 10 pens per person comment. what a splash it would make if 10% of what was being looked for came from one group. I covered me and half the next guy. and I know that their are some people out their alot more generous than that.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
I got in about an hour ago after spending a 10-hour day at the Woodcraft store in Springfield, Virginia. First, I would like to thank the local store for generously providing well over 200 kits and blanks...in cobalt gold, no less. Second, another word of thanks to the Capital Area Woodturners for measuring, cutting, drilling and tubing over 200 blanks.

In the 10 hours I was there, the store exceeded its goal of 200 pens. At least 15 experienced turners showed up, although many of them had not turned a pen before. I spent much of the day teaching these folks and lots of uninitiated how to turn pens. The response was fantastic, the fellowship supreme. Regardless of what the world of politics has to say, I found that all of these good people were united in wanting to say thanks to our men and women in service to our country.

I also pointed more than a few people to our organization and this site. With all of the rest of you out there doing your part, I'm betting we top 700 members tonight!

VOTE! NOW! THANKS!

Daniel

Lou,
Thanks for the early news about the Turn-A-Thon. the Freedom Pen project is a very worthy cause. I am excited to here about such a strong turn out (get the pun there)
as well as looking forward to the surge in penturners that they always produce.
For those that don't know the Woodcraft stores have been conducting Turning marathons in support of our troops, through the Freedom Pen project, All Day.
Thanks to you Lou, all the others that donated there time and talent, and e special thanks to the woodcraft stores across america.

ashaw

We had a Turn-A-Thon at the Penn State Industries show room this pat weekend. Over 700 pens were made. 180 pens on the day of the T-A-T and the balance comming from turners in the area. We had over 70 people out for a 7 hour period.

Our goal was 20,000 pens for this year. We reached that goal a couple of weeks ago. We woodcraft T-A-T going on we may double that goal.

jkirkb94

Just left my local Woodcraft here in Okla. City. I was the last one out. Stopped by after work and made a couple of slimlines. They had about 100 pens made today. Fantastic [:D] Kirk [8D]

low_48

At the Peoria Woodcraft we made 215 pens today. I wasn't able to get there till after work, but still took in the 25 made in advance and turned another 20 tonight. Lathes everywhere, but unfortunately not all being used. Lots of fun though!. It's quite different turning and talking to someone at the same time. Usually it's a very solitary hobby.

Congratulations to all who participated!!!!

Rich

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
I wasn't sure if I would share this story or not. Some may find it maudlin. I hope some of you don't.

At the Turn-a-thon, I met up with two other Vietnam era vets. We shared a few words about how glad we were that these troops are more respected than we were. America has grown up a bit.

Over the late afternoon hours I noticed an older gentleman (I'm 53 next week, so you know this guy must have been mid to late 70's) walking from lathe to lathe, watching the rest of us kibitz, tease and help. At one point he had taken a seat, resting his tired feet.

I engaged him in conversation, asking if he turned pens. Come to find out, he had never been any kind of wood worker. He came in after seeing the sign in the window and was interested in buying a "freedom pen". As we talked, I learned that he was a Korean War vet. He was Army. I had been Navy. We placed a gentleman's wager on the next football game.

I asked him if he'd like to turn a pen for this generation of soldier. He replied that it looked too complicated and that he didn't want to take a place at a lathe. A few words were exchanged and I took the next lathe, set up the mandrel, picked up a gouge and said "Come on. We're still in this together."

Long story short (er), he turned a pen. Finished it. And before he put it in the box, wrote his name in a bold hand on the tag I had given him. He went back to watching. I went back to recruiting.

As the evening was drawing to a close, he walked over and shook my hand, thanking me. I took one of my pens from my pocket and handed it to him. He asked how much I'd charge him for a pen like that. I answered "You've already paid". So two old vets from other eras walked out into the night having acknowledged and yielded to the newest generation of protectors. [8D]

kennosborne

Did the Sterling Heights Woodcraft TaT today also. Those guys are great there. We had a TaT for the Freedom Pens back in July there and they had this one today. It was very fun and allot of pens got made.

smoky10

I have turned and shipped 80 pens to the Freedom Pen Project.I believe this has been going on for about a year now and over 24,000 pens have been shipped to our service men and women in Afghanistan and Iraq. Tom

jkirkb94

I loved your story Lou. I would like to have seen his face after he turned his pen. Teaching another to turn and giving them the satisfaction of seeing a piece of their art was a great gift you gave him. The companionship of another and the pen were other fine gifts also. You did good! Kirk [8D]

its_virgil

Left Wichita Falls, TX at 6:30 am, drove 120 miles to the Woodcaft store n Ft. Worth to attend the turn a thon. STayed until 8:30 pm and came home. It was a wonderful time. Turned 20 pens, helped numerous first timers turn their first pen. Many woodturners who stopped in turned their first pen. A group of veterans came in and turned pens. As someone else mentioned, it is even more fun to talk and turn. Learned some new stuff and shared some of my knowledge (this didn't take very long). Don't know the final count but we had a box full.

Met the owner of the Texas stores. Forgot his name and I apologize to him for that. Thanks to the owner and to Ray, the store manager and to all of the WC staff in Fort Worth for sponsoring the TaT and for putting up with us all day. We had 8 lathes and they were busy most of the day. We may even get some new members. I told lots of people about PT.org. I hope all of you who attended a TaT had as much fun as I did.

Now it is off to work. Finally Friday.....
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by Scott
<br />Hi Everybody!

I have been trying to "spread the word" about penturning, and I guess it's starting to work!

One of the other forums I participate on, a woodworking forum called Sawmill Creek, has begun a wonderful project that deserves our support, if not our participation! They call it Freedom Pens!

They are trying to raise as many turned pens as possible to give to our servicemen overseas. Here is a link to a temporary page that tells more about it:

http://www.oldrebelworkshop.com/freedom_pens.htm

I have a pack of ten comfort pen kits just laying around - I think I'll try turning them this weekend and send them off. It certainly isn't going to hurt me to get some lathe time!

What do you think?

Scott.

woodman928

Originally posted by DCBluesman
<br />I wasn't sure if I would share this story or not. Some may find it maudlin. I hope some of you don't.

At the Turn-a-thon, I met up with two other Vietnam era vets. We shared a few words about how glad we were that these troops are more respected than we were. America has grown up a bit.

Over the late afternoon hours I noticed an older gentleman (I'm 53 next week, so you know this guy must have been mid to late 70's) walking from lathe to lathe, watching the rest of us kibitz, tease and help. At one point he had taken a seat, resting his tired feet.

I engaged him in conversation, asking if he turned pens. Come to find out, he had never been any kind of wood worker. He came in after seeing the sign in the window and was interested in buying a "freedom pen". As we talked, I learned that he was a Korean War vet. He was Army. I had been Navy. We placed a gentleman's wager on the next football game.

I asked him if he'd like to turn a pen for this generation of soldier. He replied that it looked too complicated and that he didn't want to take a place at a lathe. A few words were exchanged and I took the next lathe, set up the mandrel, picked up a gouge and said "Come on. We're still in this together."

Long story short (er), he turned a pen. Finished it. And before he put it in the box, wrote his name in a bold hand on the tag I had given him. He went back to watching. I went back to recruiting.

As the evening was drawing to a close, he walked over and shook my hand, thanking me. I took one of my pens from my pocket and handed it to him. He asked how much I'd charge him for a pen like that. I answered "You've already paid". So two old vets from other eras walked out into the night having acknowledged and yielded to the newest generation of protectors. [8D]

It sure looks like we have the right man for this job of I.A.P President. Its thing like this that make me proud to be a member of the I.A.P. WAY TO GO.[^]
Jay

melogic

Job well done Lou. That story brings a joyful tear to my eye. Thanks for sharing this with us, and thanks for everything you do for the I.A.P and Freedom Pens.

paleydp

Several of our local club members were at our local Woodcraft stores TaT today. We had over 100 pens by 4pm. Don't know the final count, but they were going to go to 9pm and were still going strong when I left. We had a a couple of family/young son teams who turned their 1st pens at the Rockler TaT a few weeks ago. They joined us again yesterday and stayed for hours. Really fun to see a kid standing on a box to reach the lathe, wearing a full-face shield, turning pen after pen, and proudly using each pen to write thank you notes to the troops.

M

Mudder

<br />I wasn't sure if I would share this story or not. Some may find it maudlin. I hope some of you don't.

I tip my hat to you my friend. Both for your service to this great country, and for your display of brotherhood and respect for a fellow vet. My veteran status came on a little island that many folks never heard of in the early 80's. I also believe that we made the correct choice for our president.

Thank you,

roberts

Northampton, Northamptonshire, United Kingdom.
Great tale Mr President, Sir ([:X]feet), if only we had the same feelings for our servicemen as you in the States do, we have just sent up the Black Watch regiment to near Bagdad and what do you thing their rewards is going to be when they return...... they will be disbanded[:(!].(No more politics)

I love the freedom pen thing, it shows you care, power to your elbows (Brit. compliment)[:D].
Bob `S`
[:D]

woodwish

<br /> . . . Long story short (er), he turned a pen. Finished it. And before he put it in the box, wrote his name in a bold hand on the tag I had given him. He went back to watching. I went back to recruiting.

Great story, very touching! If you don't mind I am going to share it with my seminary class this week. They know my passion for woodturning and also support for our troops. I recently had one of my ex-students stop by my shop that also just returned from Iraq on leave. I was getting some blanks ready for FPP at the time. He was very impressed with the size of the project. I handed him a very special pen and made him promise to write his parents more often, and then also gave him some I had ready to ship. I figured he could personally hand them out to soldiers that he knew, if he made them promise to write home. His dad came by yesterday with a letter his son had written upon his return to Iraq, along with some exotic wood he had picked up somewhere and $$$ for postage or more kits.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Wish--

I'd be proud to have you relay my story. In all fairness, though, it's a story that is being repeated over and over again across the States. Many, many good people are expressing gratitude for the sacrifices that others oare making. And many others are sharing in that expression. We have turners involved, of course, and in addition we have suppliers that are giving, the general public supporting us through donations...it boggles the mind. Anyway, if the story is useful to anyone here, please feel free to use it.

Daniel

Lou, I've set here for some time reflecting on your story. All I can come up with to say is. I am speachless. thanks for sharing it.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Robert--It's unthinkable that the Black Watch could fade into history. After the Jacobite rebellion, they have proved to be one of the most dedicated and capable fighting units for the British Empire. When all was thought to be lost, the Black Watch was there to carry on. Through the Napoleonic Wars, two World Wars and much more, they persevered. Should the Woodturners and/or pen turners in the UK decided to do something for these brave soldiers, I hope you will let me know. They, too, deserve a thank you. Power to your elbows as well! [8D]
Originally posted by roberts
<br />Great tale Mr President, Sir ([:X]feet), if only we had the same feelings for our servicemen as you in the States do, we have just sent up the Black Watch regiment to near Bagdad and what do you thing their rewards is going to be when they return...... they will be disbanded[:(!].(No more politics)

I love the freedom pen thing, it shows you care, power to your elbows (Brit. compliment)[:D].
Bob `S`

Travlr7

Mr President:

From one Navy Vet to another "Well Done".

I don't have to explain to YOU how big a compliment that is. For those out here that are not Ex-Navy, a well done is as good as it gets.

To all others that have helped with the program in any way, your efforts will be remembered long after our brave men and women are home from this round of Americans being "The Guardians of Freedom.

Bruce

roberts

I would like to point out Bruce (travir7) that though the Americans are doing their bit, there are others in this conflict that are doing their bit, and dying as well[:(!]. no problem about being patriotic but though I support the Americans (and others) you are not the be all and end all on this planet. (Sorry that lost me some votes but it had to be said[:(])

Bob `S`
(Ex Royal Air Force)

Kurt Aebi

Bob,

I do not believe that any of us here in the US mean in any way to diminish the role of ANY of our good friends and Allies. It is truly a group effort and I am sure that you too can get it started in the UK to filter some of these heart warming gifts to the brave and honorable soldiers from th eUK. Maybe you have contacts there or know of some that you can maybe help you get the pens into the hands of the se brave souls as well. Afterall, they have to write home and have their morale uplifted as well.

Believe me, you have not "Lost Votes" with any of the True Americans - by no means, your patriotism speaks volumes and re-enforces the drive of both our nations desire for a Free Society worldwide. You should really put on a drive to get this type of support mechanism started for "Your" Brave Soldiers as well.

Travlr7

Bob, NO, you have not lost votes. Your troops in harms way get my admiration, too.

I wish we heard more from citizens of other countries involved in the conflict. I may be wrong, but I believe that this is the first time anyone has been willing to step forward for their troops.

You sound like the perfect candidate to start something in the UK to honor your troops.[8D]

Bruce

bnosie

Being a Navy veteran of the first gulf war, I am proud to be a member of this fine organization. Bob, you are a true patriot and have my respect. Mr. President, this being an "International" organization, couldn't we organize something and have pens sent to our allies as well?

roberts

Thanks for the nice replies to my last input, sorry if I offended anyone, engaged fingers before putting brain in gear, I was feeling a little under the weather that day and did not think[:I].

Anyway, what I would like to know is how do you organise the freedom pens, who do you contact etc. I expect I will have to adapt it to suit our armed forces and the weird way things are done here by those in charge[:(]. I would just like to see if it is feasable to do.

If you do not want to clutter up this thread, you can always send me an e-mail via this site[;)].

Regards to all,

Bob `S`

Travlr7

Evening BOB:

The easiest way to find out about our Freedom Pen Program is to go to www.freedompens.org. That location should tell you what the originators had in mind.

Good luck. By the way, I was serious when I said I wished other countries representatives would tell us how things are going with their people.

Spent some time in Portsmouth in the 60's while in the Navy - The folks at the NAFFY (sorry if spelled badly) were great. The only problem we had on shore was that the girls wanted to have our White Hats. When we went ashore, we kept an extra hidden so we could get back aboard ship.

Good times rememberd fondly,[:)]

Bruce[;)]

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Lt. Col. James Cowan is the CO of The Black Watch. I will try to pen a message to him to see if this is plausible. I'll let you know in this forum. [8D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom