Votes: 14 15.7%
  • Free Style 4

Votes: 8 9.0%
  • Free Style 5

Votes: 27 30.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

liljohn1368

This year we had 5 pens entered in the contest. Choose the one that you like best.

The spirit
This is the contest where we stretch the boundaries of our craft and put more emphasis on the concept and the design than on function. We are looking for the pen that inspires pen design for the next year. In my time as a member here I have seen space ships, modern rifles, medieval weapons, musical instruments, spongebob, a hat with a feather in it, dragons, a stack of animals that were carved out of brass, lab equipment, and others that at present slip my mind. All of these were works of art that also happened to be pens. This is what we are looking for.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

liljohn1368

Pen 1

Steampunk Saturn 5 is the name of my entry. The hand crafted details mimic: cooler, ladder, gauge, escape rocket, fuel tanks, rocket exhaust and hatch. Ink is supplied with a roller ball. Construction time is fourteen days. It is, with exception to the spring, roller ball, finial and decorative rings, all brass (95%). No glue was used in this construction.

Attachments

• IAP BASH 1.jpg
    IAP BASH 1.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 299
  • IAP BASH 2.jpg
    IAP BASH 2.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 279
  • IAP BASH 3.jpg
    IAP BASH 3.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 263

liljohn1368

Pen 2

What I focused on in the description of the contest was "We are looking for the pen that inspires pen design for the next year". I entered this Slimline because I wanted turners that are new or have a limited budget to see that the modest Slimline can compete with fancier more expensive pen kits (at least IMHO). It takes extra work and care and attention to detail but even a new turner on a limited budget can copy this design and have an admirable pen. If this contest is more for the whimsical and not really meant to inspire a serious design then please save me some embarrassment and don't enter it.

Attachments

• Chic Line - Cocobola & Ebony (F).jpg
    Chic Line - Cocobola & Ebony (F).jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 270
  • Chic Line - Cocobola & Ebony (L).jpg
    Chic Line - Cocobola & Ebony (L).jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 285
  • Chic Line - Cocobola & Ebony (R).jpg
    Chic Line - Cocobola & Ebony (R).jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 236

liljohn1368

Pen 3

In a workshop far far away...

My Sister-in-law inspired this design as a gift for her daughter that is into calligraphy and Star Wars. I modeled the pen after Anakin Skywalker's lightsaber.

I decided to make the pen body out of a glow in the dark blank to provide light without electricity. I used a Pilot Parallel Plate calligraphy nib section that allows ink cartridges to be used instead of dipping like a standard fountain pen. This required me making a custom tap to match the factory threads (9.4mm x 0.75). The cap was turned on a manual mini metal lathe out of 6061 aluminum. The cap is assembled from 5 aluminum pieces turned or shaped by hand. The Dials were knurled by hand with a checkering file. There are 6 T shaped fins that were the biggest challenge to assemble.

The Force is Strong with this one!

Attachments

• image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 284
  • image2.jpg
    image2.jpg
    190.3 KB · Views: 342
  • image3.jpg
    image3.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 246

liljohn1368

Pen 4

time Travel fantasy is the theme. Features of this Steampunk pen include: ladder to worm hole, space man, hour glass, clock, solar panels, computer chips, and fuel lines. It is a mechanical pencil. Everything except the nib, clip and mechanics are of brass. One spot of glue to hold hour glass in place, the rest has been soldered.

Attachments

• IAP Timne Traveler 1.jpg
    IAP Timne Traveler 1.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 251
  • IAP Timne Traveler 2.jpg
    IAP Timne Traveler 2.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 299
  • IAP Timne Travelr 3.jpg
    IAP Timne Travelr 3.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 247

liljohn1368

Pen 5

This my entry into Free Style Pen Contest using an Artisan Mini Key Ring Pen Kit.

The pen represents a Coquihalla Red Steelhead Fly, originally tied by Mr. Tom Brayshaw back in the 1950's.

A Gold plated hat hook was used and cut to slip into a small diameter brass tube that was secured to the pen kit brass tube prior to tying the fly, which is hidden.
I modified the ink pen cartridge using a small round file to allow the hook to slide into the tube, hook is not clued in place allowing the display of the fly when not in use.
The stand is made old growth fir to hold the pen when in use or displayed.
Good Luck to all my fellow IAP members who have entered this contest.

Attachments

• IMG_8925.jpg
    IMG_8925.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 302
  • IMG_8927.jpg
    IMG_8927.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 296
  • IMG_8928.jpg
    IMG_8928.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 269
Top Bottom