Free book on amazon today

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
What little Amazon showed as a sample, sounds as if her life was almost a parallel to mine... I was born a few years later than her, just a couple of months before WWII started, but my dad was a share cropper too and we pretty much lived from hand to mouth for a number of years... until he left the farm when I was about 10 and started doing construction work in town, but his first love was always farming. We were a family of 6, Mom, Dad, and four kids... two boy and two girls... I'm second oldest of the four and the oldest boy of the grandkids... my dad was from a family of 10 kids and mom from a family of 3.... I had it made as a grand son, was the only boy in the family until I was about 9 when my brother was born, then the uncles and aunts all had 5 other boys in pretty quick succession. My brother and I were the only ones with the family surname until my last cousin was born.

My grandmother said the only problem for them during the depression was they had trouble getting flour and sugar... one of the few things they didn't grow themselves... they grew a lot of sorgham and sugar cane though and made their own syrup which substituted for sugar.... so flour was the biggest problem.

Jim Smith

There is another site that I have found to be excellent for those of us thatuse readers. It's called freebooksy.com. When you go to the site,you select the type of reader you use and the genre of books that you enjoy(i.e. mystery/thriller, SciFi etc.) then you indicate how often you'd like toreceive emails with the free books available in the genre you've selected. You can select more than one genre. Then everyday (if you choose daily emails)they send you 3-4 books from that genre that are absolutely free. You just click on the book, it opens Amazonand you buy the book at zero cost. Mywife and I have really been enjoying this as it gives us a chance to try newauthors with no cost/risk to us. It is areally great service and almost makes me believe that there are some things inlife that are free.

Jim Smith

sbwertz

Every day there are hundreds of free books on Amazon. They allow you to post a book for free for a total of five days, every three months. Most authors put their books up for free every so often, and you can find some real gems.

Go here

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-...154606011/ref=zg_bs_unv_kstore_2_6361588011_3

and on the left side, select the category. Click on the "Top 100 Free" and it will show you the top 100 books free on that day in that particular category.

Last edited:

sbwertz

There is another site that I have found to be excellent for those of us thatuse readers. It's called freebooksy.com. When you go to the site,you select the type of reader you use and the genre of books that you enjoy(i.e. mystery/thriller, SciFi etc.) then you indicate how often you'd like toreceive emails with the free books available in the genre you've selected.You can select more than one genre.Then everyday (if you choose daily emails)they send you 3-4 books from that genre that are absolutely free.You just click on the book, it opens Amazonand you buy the book at zero cost.Mywife and I have really been enjoying this as it gives us a chance to try newauthors with no cost/risk to us.It is areally great service and almost makes me believe that there are some things inlife that are free.

Jim Smith

Freebooksy is a good source. Authors pay the site $50 or $100 to have their book emailed out by freebooksy. The disadvantage, is that you get sent whatever books that are paid for. Usually authors will buy a promotion on freebooksy for the first book in a series, hoping the people will buy the remaining books.

If you just go into Amazon and look at the free book lists for a given day, you see the top 100 most popular books in each category for that particular day.

low_48

Thanks Sharon, downloaded it. I was also born in Central IL on a farm, but latter. I was born in 52. My Dad often mentioned that he really didn't feel the depression that much, not nearly as much as my Mom. She was raised in Quincy, one of 6 kids, by a single mother. One of their main meals was a gumbo made from free fish heads the kids would get from the butcher. They also walked the rail yard, picking up coal for the furnace. Makes my youth look like a cake walk, even when times weren't good on the farm!

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I was a little late for the depression born in 1937 - the depression was still on but I was too small to remember. But, we still did some of the things people talk about. As late as 1946 I was give a bucket and sent to walk the tracks to find coal, what a job of work that was.

Spent many days walking the back roads and searching every dump we could find to get soda and beer bottles that we could return to get the 2 cents deposit - a nickel for quart size.

Picked blackberries and huckleberries in the summer to sell for 15 cents or so a quart. These were wild berries and it usually took a lot of them to make a quart. Picked princess pine in the fall to be used for Christmas decorations the price varied but it never got to be more than perhaps 12 cents a pound. I wasn't big enough to carry a really full bag out of the woods. I remember one time two of us working all day to fill a 10 quart pail with huckleberries then had to split the $1.40 we sold them for. And this was well after the depression was over.

Rockytime

I was born in 1938 in a small town in North Dakota. We had electricity but did not have water and sewer until after the war. We had the outdoor biffy. It was always painted and very clean. We also had a cistern and a galvanized wash tub for bathing. Spent my summers on the farm. It was no workee, no eatee.

"The Story of Ruth" was a nice read. Thanks

Top Bottom