Fred's Beading Tool Feedback

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

olsenla

Hi all,

I finally got some shop time today and wanted to post some feedback on the beading tools I received from Fred. The tools cut like a dream and are very handy for making tiny beads. You use them like a scraper. After fiddling around with them on some scrap, I too discovered that since the beads are so tiny and shallow, it is better to wait until close to final sanding to apply them. I really like the round handle that I received. It lets me have full visability of the cut, and I just use the flat of the tool bit against the tool rest to steady the tool. I am very pleased with the tools and recommend them when they are available again. The picture is the tool handle I turned today. Unfortunately, I don't have the camera or the know-how to post a picture that you can see the detail. I used all three tool bits and the beads all look great in person. I am looking forward to using these tools on some future pens. Thanks Fred for making these tools available.

Larry

200511621252_pens.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fred in NC

Larry, thank you for your feedback and kind words. The handle is very fancy, great job !!!

I hope to be able to take some pics of the correct sharpening and usage of the tool very soon. The bits are hardened steel, so diamond stones or fine carbide paper are recommended. It took a long time before I had to re-sharpen my bits, so the bits should last a long time.

melogic

Larry, Did you use the beading tool to make the beads on your handle? If so, which ones did you use? Nice looking handle.
Fred, Don't forget me when you make these available again. I want the entire set!

olsenla

Mark,

I used all three sizes of the beading tools on the handle. Unfortunately, the photo doesn't show the definition of the beads on the two smaller sizes, but they look good in person. They will be excellent on pens.

Larry

olsenla

Fred,

I drilled the blank with a 3/8" bit to the required depth plus a little for expansion of the glue. I then turned the wood handle between centers using a live center in the tailstock and a small spur in the headstock. To cut the beads, I installed the bits in the metal handle and rested the flat part of the bit against the toolrest. The bits are sharp, so there was not much pressure and they were easy to control with my hand on the metal handle. The wood handle will make it more comfortable, but it was in no way troublesome to just use the metal handle. I am really looking forward to turning some pens with these tools.

Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom