FP question: Vanishing Point

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Slyotter

My question is: Has anyone made a vanishing point FP? I saw the Pilot Vanishing point pen, and saw they sell the insert (nib & resevoir assembly $50-$70 depending on Nib, course/med/fine) but not the click mechanism. I have emailed the company and asked if they would be willing to sell it as a kit (with their care and upkeep brouchure so they will keep the credit for the mechanism) but have not recieved a response.

Anyways, was just wondering if anyone had tried to make one from scratch?

I though that the kit would be great for woodturners and penmakers to make something a bit more unique. Or has anyone heard that this pen system isn't very good?

Jerry

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
The vanishing point is a lot more complex than a simple click mechanism which extends the fountain pen nib. Inside these remarkable designs is a double-helix mechanism which retracts the nib cover and extends the nib assembly simultaneously. Having taken one apart, I don't have the talent, patience or equipment to tackle the project...although some pen makers on this forum could probably do so.

Slyotter

Richard,

Never want to take credit from other's work. When I asked if Pilot would sell me the mechanism or even sell kits. I asked for their official pamphlet for the pen. I only want to do the outside of the pen, the insides of any pen is way past my skill level.... at this point at least. In the future I would like to learn to make the whole pen (FP specifically).

I have been looking around, and seeing people making the NIB holders, resevoir holders (one person was even making the resevoir!!), and the rest. I would LOVE to have my high end pens to be completely made by me. Something to look into when I return to the States in 3 years. (still cannot find a Lathe to use in Peru, nor do I have a place to have one in the apartment. Wife says absolutely NOT!)

Jerry

Top Bottom