FP parts

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

stevo81

Hi All

After making my first kitless pen i would now ilke to make a fountain pen, im confused as by the amount of different nibs, feeds etc out in the market place. Is there any reccommended parts to start off with and also what tooling is required. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Stevo

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OKLAHOMAN

Stevo, there are two different sized nibs 5MM (small as on the Jr. Series of pens) and 6MM (larger as on the fulls sized Gent, Statesman etc.) each needs it own feed and housing the tooling you need for each would be a corresponding tap for each ( a 5MM tap and a 6MM tap) .Each brand of nib such as Jo/Wo, Bock, Schmidt etc has different threads so the tap needed is only good for that brand so you need to pick a brand that you would like to stick with and buy the nibs,,housings and tap from that supplier. Hope this answerers your question..

IMO The nicest nib units are the #6 from meisternibs (JoWo distributor):
6%20steel%20two%20tone%20blank.jpg

Really nice nibs, and they look good too. They also do 14k, 18k and have lots of styles and platings:
618kblack2tone.jpg

Almost all the brands use different threads though. The #6 from JoWo uses 7.4x0.5.

If you have a metal lathe you can make the taps yourself, otherwise it gets pretty expensive.

Last edited:

watch_art

IMO The nicest nib units are the #6 from meisternibs (JoWo distributor):
6%20steel%20two%20tone%20blank.jpg

Really nice nibs, and they look good too. They also do 14k, 18k and have lots of styles and platings:
618kblack2tone.jpg

Almost all the brands use different threads though. The #6 from JoWo uses 7.4x0.5.

If you have a metal lathe you can make the taps yourself, otherwise it gets pretty expensive.

I agree with this. They're very good nibs and simple to make a section for. You drill through the blank once with a J, tap it, thread the back end to go into the barrel, flip it into a threaded holder, then drill down with lager bits so the housing fits. And given the money you can make selling nice custom pens, a 30 or 40 dollar tap doesn't seem too expensive. More like a really good investment. :biggrin:

stevo81

thaks everyone, i may have to try the El Grande option if it works for others sould work for me :cool:

i do have a metal lathe, not very good on it yet tho. is there instructions on here on how i would go about making a tap?

thanks

stevo

Essentially you cut the thread you want, and then file/grind flats to make cutting edges:
tap.jpg

While it might look like this style of tap would push material out of the way, it actually does cut very well. The main disadvantage is chip clearing which shouldn't be a problem since none of the holes are blind.

Normally you would grind three (not four) flats and have the thread tapered a bit so it doesn't start cutting all at once.

You can harden the steel if you want, but if you are only cutting plastic it shouldn't be necessary.

Haynie

Don't mean to hijack and I hope it is not taken that way. Realizing that the feed sections are proprietary threads and require special taps, So far I have silver pen parts for meister nibs and classic nib for the Bock. Is there anyone else?

PenMan1

You could order an El Grande fp section from Berea and use a 10m x 1 tap (I think) :confused::)

This is correct. I THINK that the Cambridge and one other Berea (IIRC - Churchill) also use a 10 x1 section.

You can buy these sections as "stand alone" units, without having to buy a component set.

Not trying to "Dis" other Berea dealers, but I do know that AS keeps these in stock. I would be interested to know other dealers that sell the sections only as Berea Hardwoods doesn't seem to do this anymore.

Last edited:

BigShed

You could order an El Grande fp section from Berea and use a 10m x 1 tap (I think) :confused::)

This is correct. I THINK that the Cambridge and one other Berea (IIRC - Churchill) also use a 10 x1 section.

You can buy these sections as "stand alone" units, without having to buy a component set.

Not trying to "Dis" other Berea dealers, but I do know that AS keeps these in stock. I would be interested to know other dealers that sell the sections only as Berea Hardwoods doesn't seem to do this anymore.

Ernie at Bear Tooth Woods stock them as well, and he even (cheerfully) ships outside the US.

Yes, the El Grande and the Churchill use the same section as well as the same tubes.

jjudge

@stevo81 -- You can also buy the metal couplers for the El Grande/Churchill. So, a coupler would replace the need to do some of the threading. You still need to thread the cap, but that *dangerously thin* body threads (inner threads with outer cap threads) is avoided.

@Haynie - I posted a Taps, Dies, Sizes spreadsheet with tap sizes and some links to sellers

I need to update it for clarity (before posting to library): e.g., Jo/Wo, Schmidt, Bock - where, who, etc.

Prices are $30, $40 for the feed/housing taps (typically)

Off the top of my head:
Indy-Pen-Dance.com
ClassicNib.com
MeisterNibs.com
SilverPenParts.com

Top Bottom