FP ink & pumps

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Firefyter-emt

I had posted up a question in the "show off" forum by mistake, I did get an answer on a ink pump and ordered one from Bear Tooth Woods (the Schmidt ink pump) that will be going into a Jr. Statesman I am making myself. I also ordered some Noodlers ink as it seemed to be a highly recomended ink. I bought the "Luxury Blue" (see their description below) This is what I want to get some info on. I work as an Insurance appraiser and there are many times I am out in the rain. I have an umbrella to keep stuff dry but my papers can get wet. I tend to use a pencil, but an curious. First how fast does this ink dry? Is it at least as fast as the stuff that comes in the disposable refills? Second, I have to assume that if the ink gets say a drop of water on it while it's drying, it will run.

Are there any users of this ink here, if so, any tips, tricks, likes or dislikes?? Do I have to flush the pump or even use a new one with diffrent inks. Is there any way to "store" one with ink while another color is used? That is not likely as I like to use a nice blue myself.

"Noodler’s Ink has formulated a NEW Eternal Blue with fluorescent, yet conservative blue color. It has been formulated with “Bullet Proof†qualities so that it is impervious to water, bleach, and light. It is as fraud-proof as Noodler’s “Bullet Proof†Black. Waterproof, Bleach-Proof and in the manufacturer’s words “Bullet-Proof.â€

4.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Get the bullet-proof ink. It is fast drying and after dried, should not be hurt by moisture. As regards changing ink colors, make another fountain pen! [:D] Seriously, it takes awhile to purge the nib of one color and change colors. I don't think it is worth it unless it is a long-term change of colors.

FWIW,

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Private Reserve also makes a fast drying black. My left-handed customers LOVE it. I sell it on my site, as well. (Shameless plug.) [8D]

Firefyter-emt

Yea, the one I bought is from that bullet proof line (see description of product) Good to know about the change over, I don't plan to do it often, just curious in case I don't like this color.

I just found this info on the ink too..
http://home.earthlink.net/%7Enoodlersink/index.html

wdcav1952

Originally posted by DCBluesman
<br />Private Reserve also makes a fast drying black. My left-handed customers LOVE it. I sell it on my site, as well. (Shameless plug.) [8D]

Lou,

Is the PR ink "bullet proof" with respect to total stability to moisture after it drys?

Thanks,

PenWorks

I am not a fan of the new quick dry black from PR, I think it is called Ultra black. I found it to be to runny in 2 of my pens. They developt tiny leaks in my pens, just enough to get ink on my fingers while writing. Not sure why, but I went back to black velvet and it stopped. Just my experience with it, yours may be different.

Firefyter-emt

Just to clairfy, I do load the ink into the ink pump when it's installed in the pen via the nib, not via the pump when it is out of the pen, right? Ink plunger towards the bottom and suck up the ink while pulling, right? (or turning, not sure as I have not seen the pumps in person) Do I dunk just the tip of the nib, or dunk the entire nib point under? Sorry guys, this is kinda new to me here! [:D]

PenWorks

If your nib and feed have left over ink from another color, you run the risk of discoloring the ink in your bottle. You really need to flush your nib real good, I mean real good, to get all the old color out. Not to bad it you use blue or black, but you can real easily contaminate a light color of ink with your dirty nib.

bjackman

You do need to dip all or most of the nib in to refill. Usually at or near the bottom of the section or you get mostly air bubbles and not much ink.
I switch ink colors ALL the time...[:I] On our kit pens it's easy enough to pull the nib and feed out of the section and rinse all seperately before re-assembling and filling with a new color. Many brand name pens aren't as simple, some are. I have heard some say that some of the noodlers bulletproof stuff is a little slower to dry than many other inks, but if you're looking for permanence, I don't know of any better out there. Most of the PR colors I have tried have very little water resistance, just about wash right away. For most use, that's ok, but it sounds like you have a specific need. I'm loving the new PR Dakota Red I got from Anthony, and my favorite blue is the DC Show blue mixed 50/50 with distilled water. For me it gives it just the right color and flow, and the bottle lasts twice as long too. [:)]

Firefyter-emt

OK, just one last question. If I dunk this, I am getting very close to that ribbed plastic section. I may be able to keep it out of the ink and cover the hole, but what do you do to clean off the nib? Sounds very messy to me. I mean the front is easy, but how about the back? Q-tip maybe?

LanceD

Originally posted by Firefyter-emt
<br />OK, just one last question. If I dunk this, I am getting very close to that ribbed plastic section. I may be able to keep it out of the ink and cover the hole, but what do you do to clean off the nib? Sounds very messy to me. I mean the front is easy, but how about the back? Q-tip maybe?

Piece of an old tee shirt or rag dipped in DNA.

bjackman

I touch the feed to the side of the inside of the ink bottle a few times. Much of the ink will wick off the fins back into the bottle. Many have an image of a constantly pristine, clean nib, but in reality most daily users have ink splotches, blotches, ink creep (when the ink creeps out from the slit or breather hole, tends to happen with some thinner inks), etc. You can usually do about as much cleaning up as can be done with one or two kleenex tissues or as Lance said, a piece of an old tshirt. I would probably avoid the DNA, just don't see the point, you're really not trying to "clean" the nib, just get rid of the excess dripping, drooping ink where possible. Fill it, touch it to the side of the bottle a couple times, dab and smear a bit with a kleenex and WRITE!!!

Firefyter-emt

Oh I know it's not pristine, I have been using a rhodium Americana for a mount or so daily and love it, but it seemed like more than the normal amount of ink. I will give your tips a shot. Thanks!

gerryr

I've read some comments about Noodler's bullet-proof ink that it tends to clog the feed much more easily than other inks due to the higher solids content. I've never used it so I don't know how accurate this information is.

wdcav1952

To keep the nib clean, pull the converter off. Fill the converter from the ink bottle. Push the converter back on, reassemble the pen, and Ta-Da! the pen is ready to go and you don't have to clean the nib.

bjackman

I consider the "flushing" action that occurs when filling via the "nib in the ink" method to be one of the main reasons I usually fill that way. Especially so when you consider that quite a few have commented on the issue Gerry pointed out about the additional solids in the noodlers bulletproof inks.
As long as I've got the nib in the ink I will usually fill and empty several times, giving the nib a good thorough flush with the fresh ink. ymmv

wdcav1952

Originally posted by bjackman
<br />I consider the "flushing" action that occurs when filling via the "nib in the ink" method to be one of the main reasons I usually fill that way. Especially so when you consider that quite a few have commented on the issue Gerry pointed out about the additional solids in the noodlers bulletproof inks.
As long as I've got the nib in the ink I will usually fill and empty several times, giving the nib a good thorough flush with the fresh ink. ymmv

Unfortunately, you are washing out solids that affect the quality of the ink into your bottle of ink. If you desire to flush out the nib, you should do it with water so as to discard the debris in the nib.

For example, would you want to share a soda with your kid brother if he backwashed it? [}:)][:D]

bjackman

....but those solids came from my bottle of ink, and I'm flushing them back into it again several times.... Don't see where I'm losing them.
What I'm hoping to lose are the bits of paper fiber, etc that have somehow lodged themselvs up in the nib and feed, which I do hope end up as sediment on the bottom of my ink bottle.
Even too much ink solids, as many claim is the case with noodlers bulletproof, are not good if they begin to build up and restrict flow.
My favorite ink mix for both flow and color and drying time is PR DC Show Blue mixed 50/50 with distilled water.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom