Fountain Pen Pump

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

kf4knf

Can someone give me the "in a nutshell" directions on using a fountain pen pump? I understand it has a screw style piston assembly but how do you go about filling it and using it in a pen? Also, what is that ball in the pump used for?

I am still new to fountain pens... [:I]

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Firefyter-emt

The ball in the end is designed to spray ink all over you if you try to empty the ink from the pump before you have finished all of it. (don't ask) [;)] The higher end Scmidtt does not have this anti-use it all ink feature. What I do is to use the pump itself to suck up the ink, then wipe the end off. Next I turn the piston until you can just see the ink start to appear in the feeder. I then take the paper towel and just "press" the front and back of the nib to remove any excess. If you like, you can suck up a bit more at this point. I have found this less messy than just sucking the ink in by dipping the entire nib into the bottle.

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
The ball is in the kit pumps to keep the ink flowing. Without the ball, the ink will bead on the plastic surface of the pump and not flow.

The ball isn't required in other pumps because the ink will not bead on their surface.

leevis

I find it easier to remove the pump from the pen to fill. I also dip it into the ink bottle, then wipe off with a paper towel before re-inserting into the pen. With some nibs, you can fill it without removing from the pen (my Waterman can be filled that way) but you have to submerge the <b>entire</b> nib in the ink, not just the tip. That can be quite messy.

arioux

leevis

That link's a great tutorial on filling. Something else to consider about filling with the pump in the pen. You end up wasting a lot of ink in the bottle because, when the level falls a bit below the top of the nib, it can no longer suck it up.

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
Those who fill through the pen will soon learn why Sheaffer invented the snorkel, why the ballpoint pen replaced the fountain pen, and why Gail Borden invented canned milk.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Originally posted by RussFairfield
<br />Those who fill through the pen will soon learn why Sheaffer invented the snorkel, why the ballpoint pen replaced the fountain pen, and why Carnation invented canned milk.

Bottle of Noodler's ink - $13.99
Quality convertor for fp - 4.00
Russ' wisdom on use of above - PRICELESS!

leevis

Originally posted by arioux
<br />Remove the pump from the nib and this will allow you to go almost to the bottom of the bottle.
That was the my point. Originally posted by me right above your first post[8D]:
I find it easier to remove the pump from the pen to fill. I also dip it into the ink bottle, then wipe off with a paper towel before re-inserting into the pen.

Firefyter-emt

Just to point out how well this works, James at "Pear Tree Pens" sends enough ink in his samples to fill the pen once. I normaly suck the bottle dry with the ink pump and leave little in the bottom of the glass vial.

arioux

Originally posted by leevis
<br />
Originally posted by arioux
<br />Remove the pump from the nib and this will allow you to go almost to the bottom of the bottle.
That was the my point. Originally posted by me right above your first post[8D]:
I find it easier to remove the pump from the pen to fill. I also dip it into the ink bottle, then wipe off with a paper towel before re-inserting into the pen.

Lee,

I should have stayed in bed this morning[:I]

Alfred

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom