Fountain Pen "Feed" Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SteveG

Every time I deal with fountain pens, be it using one, making one, swapping out the nib, etc., I look at the feed and wonder: what is the function of that array of fins? These are nearly universally common to fountain pen feeds. A little time spent in "search" did not yield the answer. I would sure like to be able to share that tidbit of fountain pen knowledge when trying to sell these higher end pens. So far, I have not been asked this, but want to be able to say something like: "Did you know that..." Then I could engage a prospective buyer in conversation (and get a sale!). :biggrin: Does anyone have the answer?

chartle

Every time I deal with fountain pens, be it using one, making one, swapping out the nib, etc., I look at the feed and wonder: what is the function of that array of fins? These are nearly universally common to fountain pen feeds. A little time spent in "search" did not yield the answer. I would sure like to be able to share that tidbit of fountain pen knowledge when trying to sell these higher end pens. So far, I have not been asked this, but want to be able to say something like: "Did you know that..." Then I could engage a prospective buyer in conversation (and get a sale!). :biggrin: Does anyone have the answer?

They are used as an ink reservoir.

Pentrace Article #102501_127 Anatomy of a Fountain Pen I: A Typical Lever Filler

I googled "Anatomy of a fountain pen" and they are combs.

If you want to strike up a conversation I would picks discussions about nibs. :)

But first watch all of these if already haven't.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=japanese+fountain+pen+masters

particularly the ones from VirtuThe3rdTV

Last edited:

SteveG

Thanks for the reply Cliff...who better to provide the response than Richard Binder, with the Pentrace article. Even with that knowledge, I look at the configuration of the "combs" and think it seems to be over done design, but it is there on overwhelmingly most feeds. Maybe the design evolved to what it is simply because it worked. This would parallel the development of the violin. In my engineering undergrad work I learned of a design challenge: to design a new, improved acoustic "shape" that would be superior to the traditional violin. It was a zero-based, ground up design competition. The result was exactly the existing traditional violin design! The use of the latest in engineering design capabilities could come up with nothing better. Just musing...

chartle

After rereading that article. I think they act more like a bigger or regulator for the ink to control the flow.

Top Bottom