Found some good plywood today!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Drstrangefart

Drstrangefart

249553_172364296156977_100001502242963_424565_3261301_n.jpg

I made this one out of some plywood I found at work. I gave it to my friend Evan just because I felt like giving one away and I made him watch the whole process. Custom centerband is a scrap left from the first or second acrylic I ever turned. This plywood had a ton of voids going all the way to the tube when I was down to shape. I backfilled with sawdust and CA and you can't really tell now.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TerryDowning

Nice little pen, and good use of the acrylic scrap.

Cut on a diagonal would be cool too.

Did the hardware come red or did you paint it? I haven't seen red hardware anywhere.

Drstrangefart

Nice little pen, and good use of the acrylic scrap.

Cut on a diagonal would be cool too.

Did the hardware come red or did you paint it? I haven't seen red hardware anywhere.

Smitty either does or did sell enameled Slimlines in red, black, green and blue. Had a really good deal on them when I bought them. I plan on trying diagonal next time I wanna turn the plywood. Just didn't have the nerve for it after the last couple of tries with a different plywood flew apart on the lathe.

Bobalu

Good job Allen. I wish I had your imagination. I'd never look at a piece of plywood and imagine it could anything other than what it is. I guess I'm getting too old to think outside the box.

Drstrangefart

Nice!

What kind of glue do you use to hold the plywood together?

Each barrel is 3 pieces of the plywood glued together with thick CA and pressed in a clamp. If you're gonna turn this stuff, soaking with thin CA or another stabilizing method is HIGHLY recommended as it's some really finnicky stuff. I got lucky on this one.

Drstrangefart

Good job Allen. I wish I had your imagination. I'd never look at a piece of plywood and imagine it could anything other than what it is. I guess I'm getting too old to think outside the box.

To be honest, Dad beat me to this particular material. But, whenever I find almost anything interesting on the ground or whatever, the first question I ask is "will it turn?". That has led to some of my more interesting ideas.

Drstrangefart

To be honest, Dad beat me to this particular material. But, whenever I find almost anything interesting on the ground or whatever, the first question I ask is "will it turn?". That has led to some of my more interesting ideas.

It also just led to a messy failure. I found a clear makeup brush handle, and it seemed suitable for turning. Instead, it melted the instand the bit touched it on the drill press. Took some doing to get it all cleaned off of the bit, as I had to see if I could "press" (no pun intended, but I took it anyways) on and make it work. Disappointment. It was gonna be a killer piece of work.

Gary Beasley

Next time slow the dp to it's bottom speed and have some water handy to drip into the hole as you drill. You should be able to drill some pretty soft plastic like that.

Top Bottom