Forstner bits

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

southernclay

I have a very cheap set of ebay forstner bits I bought years ago that are fine for shallow holes, a little heat and smoke build up but smoke alarms are fun right?:)

For a peppermill I don't have a 1 1/16" and wouldn't want to go through as much wood with this set if I did. Looking around found a carbide tipped on Grizzly.com for a great price. Anyone used this or have a better recommendation?

Grizzly.com

Thanks,
Warren

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

walshjp17

If you are going to turn a lot of pepper mills (once SWMBO* sees one, you'll be making them for her family, friends, church acquaintances, the trash man and all the local politicians :wink::wink:), I recommend Colt forstner bits. They are more expensive, but they stay sharper longer and are easier to sharpen. They are made from very good quality steel and last almost forever.

Nick Cook, a professional woodturner in the Atlanta area and one of the founders of the AAW, highly recommends Colt bits and their MT2 extensions. Nick turns hundreds of pepper mills each year and completely relies on his Colt bits and accessories.

* SWMBO ==> She Who Must Be Obeyed

jfoh

For $11.00 I buy the grizzly and not look back. Most nice pepper mill blanks will cost as much. You'd spend more in the long run trying to use what you have and not be happy.

kovalcik

You really do not need the 1 1/16" inch bit. Drill with a 1" and then cut the end of the hole a little bigger with a scraper until the hardware fits.

Top Bottom