For some inexplicable reason???????

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bob Wemm

For some inexplicable reason I decided to finish my "rustic bottle" with coarse steel wool rather than sandpaper. I really don't know why because there are splits and rough natural surfaces on the piece.:redface:

BUT, I know why I shouldn't do it again.

After lapsing into unconsciousness several times and a trip to the Regional Hospital in Geraldton some 100 miles away, I am back home.

Unbelievably, I do not have a mark or even a scratch to show for my experience, although I do have a very sore thumb and index finger from being twisted around the bottle neck, backwards.

I do think that someone was watching over me at the time. I've done this same thing many times previously and gotten away with it. Proves your luck has to run out some time.

Bob.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 350
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Tieflyer

Seemed like a good idea at the time? Glad you're ok, attached and functional! Don't do it again!!

robutacion

Glad that you escaped "undamaged" and I believe that is a lesson to be learn for everything we do in life however, I'm a little confused to lesson here, as the very thing that is always recommended as a safety accessory (gloves), was the very thing that caused the incident so, a little of "damn of you do, damn if you don't ...!":frown:

Cheers
George

Justturnin

I always wondered why folks said no steel wool at the lathe. Now I know. I have used super fine SW on the lathe but never again. As for the gloves, I would not wear gloves or jewelry around anything that can grab you and take you for a ride.

edit

.....And thank you for sharing. Had I not seen this I would still not understand why I should not use steel wool and would still use it in my shop.

Last edited:

Jim Smith

OUCH!!! I'm glad that you were more seriously injured. I'm curious, did the steel wool wrap around the blanks and grab your glove along for the ride or did it just catch your glove?

Jim Smith

76winger

WOW, Incident noted. Thank God you're alright and will keep that in mind for using steel wool on anything spinning on the lathe.

Bob Wemm

OUCH!!! I'm glad that you were more seriously injured. I'm curious, did the steel wool wrap around the blanks and grab your glove along for the ride or did it just catch your glove?

Jim Smith

Hi Jim,
The steel wool wrapped around the neck of the bottle and then dragged the glove and my hand into the mire. Fortunately the lathe stalled (1.5hp) and I was able to switch it off.

Bob.

Lucky2

You were very very lucky Bob, thankfully you didn't experience another outcome that could be a lot worse then a couple of sore fingers. I've always considered wearing gloves while turning as a no no, and as for the steel wool, I never use it.
Len

Bob Wemm

A really good lesson learned from this.
I hear you all telling me how dangerous gloves can be, obviously you are correct.
I will adjust my procedure accordingly, also some others need to think about it as well.
Hopefully I have saved some PAIN.

Bob.

BradG

Seen too many injuries from people wearing gloves on lathes..... I turn metal, and would much rather handle the razor sharp swarf with my bare hands than donn a pair of gloves. on the odd occasion where i have worn gloves, namely to keep finger prints off the piece they have been latex. a cople of times even they have snagged and ive stepped back to watch the glove stretch like a rubber band thinking this is going to sting like a b*tch when it snaps lol.

randyrls

Yes; Even a latex glove can pull you in. The rule that I follow is: No gloves around spinning parts! If I need to clean something up or remove a part from the lathe, Shut off the lathe and then put the gloves on.

monark88

Sorry, but I have to add to all who say "No gloves around anything that turns or spins." Gloves should
be used with hand tools, safely, only.

Russ

Top Bottom