Food Safe Finish

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Len Shreck

There are a lot of different types of Waxes that people use for bowls and stuff. I would check out like CSUSA or PSI in their "Finishes" section they have it right in description if food safe. Also check out the Vendor list on here and see if any of them say about Bowls, that may be a good place to start. I know I wasn't much help but if I could put you on a path then maybe I helped some. Len

TXPhi67

I prefer Walnut Oil and you can find it at the Grocery store.

There are a lot of choices and it probably comes down to personal preference (pretty much like any of the finishes discussed for any of our projects) - so the best is try out several different ones and see which one you like best.

Have fun!

Seer

Mineral Oil is good no possible food allergies like nut or citrus based oils and does not build up. I use it exclusively for all my carvings etc.

Jmhoff10500

CSUSA has a great walnut oil. It's a mixture if different waxes and oils that cures in uv light( the sun) and I am very pleased with the quality as well as it doesn't transfer any tastes into any food that comes in contact with it...

JerrySambrook

+2 to Carl as well.
Once gassed off, they are all food safe, except in cases of alergies like some of the nut oils. Mineral oil is inert, so the likelyhood of an alergy is extremely remote, if possible at all

grub32

I think the safest bet is mineral oil... I can't say that all finishes are safe once cured...generally, it is the solvent that is the danger...lets just say they won't cause cancer or brain damage : )

Grub

gpgsm

Grub, usually the solvents evaporate without remaining on the piece.

I look for a finish that insulates the wood from the food because I need to create objects with wood not suitable for food.
In Italy I could use only: goat wood, beech, walnut and poplar.

I decided to buy more than one product and try it.

Thank all for the many helpful responses.

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
A few things I've read or heard:
Any curing finish will be food safe once it is cured.
Mineral oil is inert and food safe.
Most organic oils will turn rancid over time.
They may be food safe when applied,but rancid
oils can have a detrimental effect on flavors.
Oils that polymerize will be food safe when cured.
The cheetah is the fastest land animal.
Non curing oils need to be re-applied regularly.

grub32

gpgsm..The point that I was trying to make was that once the solvent has evaporated, the hazard is usually gone...Unfortunately, for some finishes, it takes a while...A long while.

Grub

grub32

Lacquer- maybe months a couple- Some oils like Waterlox- up to 30 days...I am still waiting for my table to cure with waterlox on it...Approaching 30...

I used lacquer for baby furniture and was advised by woodcraft owner to finish 2 months before baby would be mouthing it...All went according to plan and was fine after that.

I have no experience with shellacs but they look good and are easy to apply. I am going to be working with a new to me enduro varnish on my next project.

Grub

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
I have no experience with shellacs but they look good and are easy to apply. I am going to be working with a new to me enduro varnish on my next project.

Grub

One advantage of Shellac is that it an FDA approved food additive. Many "shiny" processed things like candy and pills are coated with Shellac.

Shellac is not a very durable finish, but it is safe assuming that the manufacturer did not tart it up with something other then Shellac flakes and Alcohol.

Top Bottom