Foo Shoo Bamboo Wall Street

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from PenWorks

Status
Not open for further replies.

PenWorks

This is some materail I was playing around with that came from Bill. He has had it over 2 years and hasn't cut any yet, so I thought I would show him what he has. At first glance, it may seem kinda plane jane or has that modern euro look to it. But what you can't see, is the nice texture to this pen. It is made out of bamboo and has a nice hard feeling to it, with the ridges of the bamboo. This was cut from 3/4 T&G flooring that looks like solid bamboo, but there is a laminate in the middle which looks to bamboo also. Anyway, thanks Bill for the unussual stuff. [:p]

As allways, thanks for looking

2005325155423_DSC00335.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

penhead

Local Chapter Leader
Nice looking pen Anthony, (although I could have sworn it looked like a shaving brush there for a minute or two :)[:)]

...nice looking wood also...did you have to do anything special to turn it...someone gave me a piece of their T&G bamboo flooring and wanted a pen from it but I kept tearing it...yours looks good though..![:)][:)]

PenWorks

Tearing it [?] You mean like the sample next to it [:D]

I turned these without the tube glued because I wasn't sure how I would like it. I had to put a little CA at the laminate joint, but other than that, no problem on the first one. The secound one, I caught a snag at that joint before I got to the CA and snapped it in half. Had it been glued to the tube who knows what would have happened.

But it did cut and finish real nice. I have been looking for a source for the actual bamboo shoots, anyone know of a source?

I was so impressed with the flooring sample, I think I may use it in my new house I'm going to build up north one of these days.

WoodChucker

Anthony, I like it because it's unique, but I don't really like that style of pen. Will you be making any more? And I'm not trying to get even with you either. [:D] I'm being honest, lets just say the jury's still out on this one until you make it with a different pen style. You'll do that for me, right? [:D]

PenWorks

RT. Life aint worth living, if you can't get even [:D]

The Wall Street was not my first choice. I wanted to do a Baron,
But I may have exagerated on the thickness. I don't think there is
enough material there to drill. After I turned it, I still had thoughts
about putting it together, but I really like the feel of it better
than the look of it.

Thanks for your opinion, and NO I am not going to make you another [}:)]

driften

I think you made a good choice in using the wall street for it.
I like it! I think it is a nice modern style you don't see often and
would be open you to a new market for the pen.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Originally posted by penworks

But it did cut and finish real nice. I have been looking for a source for the actual bamboo shoots, anyone know of a source?

Anthony,

Try the Chinese food section in your local supermarket. It tastes good, but might be hard to glue to a pen tube. [:D][:D][:D][:D]

penhead

Local Chapter Leader
Mine were glued to the tube..and when it came apart there wasn't any pieces that big - which is why I didn't recognize that as a tear out[:)]

And, what kind of bamboo are you looking for, the stuff that grows in my back yard is very young and just a green stalk...not like the big brown kind you would find in an asian country or wherever...?

btboone

I've been looking for some too. It's surprisingly difficult to find nice looking bamboo. I'm looking to make a pen with a raw stalk of it complete with the joints and all.

PenWorks

Thanks for the idea Mik, I'll have to save them chopsticks.

What do you think Fred....Chopbooomascus

Bruce, I have seen them used in pipes, I will check some of the pipe supply places to
see what I can come up with.

JP, can you talk publically what green stuff grows in your back yard.?

Thanks for the comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom