Foil wrapping

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wood-of-1kind

I know that many members 'wrap' their blanks in FOIL and then bake them in an oven in their attempt to stabilize. My question is, what happens if one were to bake simply by placing the blanks in a small pan? Will the blanks not stabilize as effectively without the foil wrap? Establishing proper temperature to reaching a proper cure is important and am very aware of this aspect.

Would be grateful for your input if you are knowledgable in good stabilizing techniques.

TIA

-Peter-

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Just did a couple yesterday wrapped in foil so they would not stick together but if the where spaced out in a pan ( I use disposable aluminum pans) I don't see why to wrap them up.

Curly

George has a thread going at the moment that described a fire he had as one of the reasons he is experimenting with spinning off and recovering the excess Cactus Juice.

wood-of-1kind

George has a thread going at the moment that described a fire he had as one of the reasons he is experimenting with spinning off and recovering the excess Cactus Juice.

Thanks Pete, I am aware of George's thread. I am using Resinol 90C and
would like some input regarding the use or not to use foil to wrap.

Thanks.

Sylvanite

I use Cactus Juice and don't wrap my blanks when baking. Instead, I put them on wire supports over an old cookie pan. The pan catches the drips. The blanks sometimes come out looking a bit scorched on the surface, but they need less trimming.

I hope that helps,
Eric

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
The reason to wrap is to contain the mess of the bleed out during curing. It does NOT help to keep the resin in the wood. The other reason to wrap is to be able to place more blanks in the oven at one time without them sticking together. I do it both ways. I still prefer wrapping but then again, I don't get a lot of bleed out and find it quite easy to clean up the blanks on the table saw afterwards. Wrapped blanks will certifiably be more likely to have cracks and such filled compared to non wrapped blanks.

NittanyLion

I use Cactus Juice and don't wrap my blanks when baking. Instead, I put them on wire supports over an old cookie pan. The pan catches the drips. The blanks sometimes come out looking a bit scorched on the surface, but they need less trimming.

I hope that helps,
Eric

What he said....this works for me.

I wrap to keep the mess to a minimum. Since I am using them myself, I don't run them through a saw (or sander).

Curtis, out of curiosity, what is the flash point of the Cactus Juice?

Based on Fahrenheit 451, I would saw wood chars around 450 degrees F

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Curtis, out of curiosity, what is the flash point of the Cactus Juice?

Based on Fahrenheit 451, I would saw wood chars around 450 degrees F

The flashpoint of Cactus Juice is >200° F. This makes it non-combustable and non-flammable according to the OSHA Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS). Note, however, that non-flammable and non-combustible does not mean it will not burn if given the right temperature.

The flashpoint of most wood (except punky stuff) is 572° F.

Last edited:
Top Bottom