FOG Contest Final Vote! You can vote for up to three!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Vote for your 3 top choices!!! You have only one chance to vote. The top three win prizes.

• #1 Where are yew now?

Votes: 32 41.0%
  • #2 Spirit of the Caribbean

Votes: 9 11.5%
  • #3 The neighbor's lilac and discarded beer can

Votes: 29 37.2%
  • #4 Turning Aspens

Votes: 4 5.1%
  • #5 Pine Root Ball

Votes: 29 37.2%
  • #6 Brecciated Jasper EDC

Votes: 20 25.6%
  • #7 Brown and sticky.

Votes: 14 17.9%
  • #8 A Red Oak Knot

Votes: 46 59.0%
  • #9 Worm Wood Cigar

Votes: 26 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SteveJ

Here are the FOG Entries that have moved on to the final round of voting. Congratulations to those who have entered this phase. Note that an additional entry has made it into this round due to a forum error which was not discovered until after the first two polls were posted.

You may vote for your 3 favorite entries. You will not have an opportunity to change your vote once you have voted.

Title: Where are yew now?
Description: Back when I started turning I would collect all sorts of pieces of wood while walking around. This is one of them, yew branches, picked up from trimmings left at the discard bin in a local cemetery.
The branches have been drying in my shop for many years, and I used a piece cut from a crotch area to dress up a Blade button click ballpoint.

1a.jpg1b.jpg1c.jpg

Title: Spirit of the Caribbean

Description: The wood is a piece of Mangrove that I found on the beach at Friis Bay, St. John, USVI. I stabilized it and cast it with Caribbean inspired blue resins.

2a.jpg2b.jpg2c.jpg

Title: The neighbor's lilac and discarded beer can
Description: The wood is Lilac I retrieved from the neighbor's brush pile. I captured one bold streak of purple, some very pleasing cream-colored sapwood for my center section, a curly Q of spalting, and several prominent cracks.

Last week, after I saw the FOG contest announcement, I convinced my wife get out of the car to pick up a Coors Light can to complete my vision. And for that alone, I deserve to win!

Not a bad pen, considering that I found these materials just lying on the ground!

3a.jpg3c.jpg

Title of Your Entry: Turning Aspens
Description: I turned this pen from a piece of aspen I found on the ground in a New Mexico forest while hiking near our campsite (small amount is legal to take for personal use). The Executive pen kit is just the right length to show off the figure in the best part of the wood. The glossy CA finish will preserve this wonderful reminder of many great times in our favorite campground!

4a.jpg4b.jpg4c.jpg

Title of Your Entry: Pine Root Ball
Description: Gold Sedona made from a small pine root ball.
CA finish. The darker color of the pen is natural. This is what is left that the bugs hadn't eaten.

5a.jpg5b.jpg5c.jpg

Title of Your Entry: Brecciated Jasper EDC
Description: I found a truly nondescript rock while exploring the desert not far from home. Although it looked just dirt covered like every other rock in the outcrop along the trail, there was a chip on the corner that hinted at something worthy. On a whim I took it home and cut a slab. What was inside was a real surprise - a nice piece of Brecciated Jasper. I made a blank and selected the Rollester kit. I used my DIY lapidary lathe to make the pen. It's been a primary EDC for a couple years now.

7a.jpeg7b.jpeg7c.jpeg

Title of Your Entry: Brown and sticky.
Description: This is a natural stick that I drilled out, stripped of bark, and polished. It is truly FOG since I do not know the species. To drill out for the bic pen invert and prevent drilling through the side, I held the wood in one hand and drilled with the other, drilled a few millimeters then let the blank spin to check that the drill bit was running straight. There is a breathing hole cleverly hidden in the side of the wood, so the ink doesn't sneak out the top end.

IMG_3608.jpeg

IMG_3625.jpeg

Title of Your Entry: A Red Oak Knot
Description: This pen's life story began a couple years back. While walking through the woods I came upon a partially fallen Red Oak tree. I noticed a knot on one part which I removed a few days later with a bow saw. It was placed in my out building to dry and forgotten about until I seen this year's contest. The entire pen was sealed and finished with Gluboost CA. The pen is dressed on a Black Titanium Jr. Gent rollerball. The stock chrome finial and center band ring were swapped with gold.

6a.jpg6b.jpg6c.jpg

Title: Worm Wood Cigar

Description: A piece of what looked like wormwood was found at the bottom of my firewood pile. After cleaning and cutting to a larger size (first pic) it was dried) and stabilized with uncolored Cactus Juice. A 3/4 x 3/4 in. strip was then cut and cast with Alumilite Clear Slow. It was then used to create the Cigar pen pictured.

9a.jpg9b.jpg9c.jpg

Top Bottom