Flourescent colors....for PR.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gothycdesigns

Well started messing around with casting my own PR using the Mixol dyes. The dye works well
and very concentrated. I have to thank Grub32 for mentioning it on one of his videos. I have a Woodcraft close by that carries those.....Anyways....

Now I'm looking for bright flourescent colors that will work well in the PR. I want to try creating swirlled effects, such as green/black, purple/black and so on. Mainly this will be used for making bottle stopper blanks.

And what is a good brand of silver powder to give the shimmering or pearl like accent to such colors? Any suggestions greatly appreciated. And I will get some pics posted soon of my castings. I have also started keeping a recipe notes for the PR I have messed with, based on see this suggestions a few times here on the forum.

Thanks Again !!!

RayK.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I like some of the Mixols, especially the Red (Rot #10) as it doesn't have the blue tones that several of the PR pigs have. However, for the cost of 20mLs of Mixol makes it an exceedingly expensive pigment.

Pearl-ex Micropearl is a good Pearlant. I am still looking for a good metal flake additive.

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
Others have mentioned the pearls, but for fluorescents you can try the dyes from
Smooth-On. They have an 'Ignite' line (I think that's the name) of dyes meant for
urethane resins, but they can work in PR too if you're careful about mixing. The
powder tends to settle out in the bottom of the container, so DO NOT add your
catalyst until you've spent about 10 minutes mixing the dye in it's own container,
and then another several minutes mixing it into the resin. It tends to hold together
in little clumps and not want to mix. Perhaps a small container with a small amount
of resin at first, gradually adding more resin until you can mix it completely.

But the colors are intense and glow under black light. Neat special effect..
You might also be able to get a good metal look by mixing metal powders
with the pearl before adding to the resin. Sometimes the powdered copper,
aluminum and brass can look dull on their own, but tend to buff up to a nice
shine on the surface. The pearl could help. I like the UltraSilk from
coastalscents.com for that.

Last edited:

workinforwood

Alumilite sells a gold and a silver powder and Wow..that silver is potent!!! It takes way less alumilite silver as compared to pearl-ex. I put just a nice scoop off a Popsicle stick into 3 ounces of resin and don't even have to paint the tubes..their silver is like molten metal. The gold is super potent too, but the due to the pearl, the gold is realistic in some spots and super dark in others...kinda depends a lot on the light and angle you are viewing too.

tommyd

I just noticed that home depot has a florescent don't recall if it was powder or just paint didn't really look at it just noticed it walking by the paint dept.

Top Bottom