Flash Rust...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WoodLM

What does everyone use to prevent flash rust on their equipment? I live in Indiana, and my shop is outside away from the comfort of the house. I have been seeing more and more of it as we have had a lot of rain, so the humidity has been high... just looking for some sort of coating for my lathe bed, and my chuck.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

frank123

WD-40 works in most cases for me, just have to spray it on regularly after using the equipment.

I should add, I'm in a fairly dry climate. Don't know how well it would work under constant high humidity.

Last edited:

campzeke

I would not suggest WD-40 for your woodworking tools. It is an oil based product and you will very likely find oil stains on you next project. If you think Indiana is bad try fighting that problem in Florida where the average daily humidity is about 9000%. Some days I feel like I need to grow a set of gills. Most of the time I use a paste wax on my tool surfaces. Tablesaw, bandsaw, drill press, etc. It works OK but not 100% T9-Boeshield .... so so and expensive. About a year ago I had a small indoor outdoor carpet scrap I laid on my tablesaw to protect the surface while I was working on another project. It has been there ever since and is only removed when I need to use the saw. To my delight, no surface rust on the tablesaw. I think the carpet moves around just enough when something is placed on top of it acts as a mild abrasive and keeps the rust away. I still fight it on the other tools but ... I live in Florida.

Top Bottom