Flame Box Elder Bangle

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from turner.curtis

turner.curtis

Here is my first bangle completed with a core from the Bangleguy. The core and blank both came from him. I currently have my 2nd underway and will post once it is completed.

This one is Stainless Steel .66" width (Medium) in Size 8 wrapped with Stabilized FBE.

_DSC7222_EDITED1.jpg

_DSC7223_EDITED1.jpg

_DSC7225_EDITED1.jpg

_DSC7221_EDITED1.jpg

Sorry for the lousy images apparently I need to clean my lens.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
Nice looking project. Never heard of Bangleguy before.

I checked out the Bangleguy site and those inserts are not cheap. I am rather ignorant on the market for jewelry type turnings, he is selling his stuff at $95+. Is that a plausable price point?

kludge77

Nice looking project. Never heard of Bangleguy before.
he is selling his stuff at $95+. Is that a plausable price point?

I sell mine for $25.

I wish him the best, and would like to know his market. I could use a few customers like that! :)

turner.curtis

Okay so lets look at this from pen perspective... I can go down to the local Office Depot and buy a box of Bic pens for a heck of a lot less than we ask for a single hand turned pen... Still in the pen mindset, we commonly purchase $20.00-30.00+ pen component kits add some wood and charge $50.00-150.00+ for those, what is the difference here?

You have to find your market, maybe all your market can handle is the $25.00 all wood bangle that is spit out as fast as you can rough turn them... I am not looking for that market, I am looking for something else that can grab the women's eyes when they are stuck looking at pens with their significant others.

kludge77

No arguments from me. I wouldn't ever say someones time and craftsmanship isn't worth the price they set. (though mine are more than just rough turned. :) )

Good luck on your venture, and let us know how you fare! :)

Last edited:

turner.curtis

@holmqer I am not sure what Eric sells his for. You would have to engage him on that. I plan to sell mine for $85-150.00 based on type of wood used, finish, and the type of core material. Eric produces the cores in 316 Stainless and Copper.

@Kludge not trying to be an a$$ although I seem to be very good at it... basically from my POV, you may want to look at how you approached your response. Simply starting it out with "I sell mine for 25.00" seems awfully like an argumentative seeking response to me... It also leaves a lot to be desired in between. For example by your comment there, one could assert that you feel that yours are of equal or higher quality. To be fair, with out specifics I can not say that yours are or are not of equal or higher quality. Although what I can say is that if I was spending even 1/4 of the time on an all wooden Bangle that I have on this one, I would have to charge more than $25.00 just for the time, tooling, and materials I would have invested. Which there again maybe you have some other technique(s) that you use for turning that I am not aware of which allows you to turn much faster with higher degree of precision with little to no sanding needed.

kludge77

I wasn't trying to be rude to you but I've re-read my initial posing in your thread and I can agree. It's tone was rude and I apologize for it.

I didn't intend to offend, and I certainly shouldn't have hijacked your posting. The bangle is a very nice turning, and next time, I'll leave it at that.

-Peter

EricJS

Beautiful bangle, Curtis! That flame boxelder really lights it up!

I think from a marketing standpoint your prices are right in line. Once you get rolling, I would even recommend raising the prices somewhat. Those bangles are high class.:)

turner.curtis

@Kludge as I stated in my return PM I apologize as well, sorry for it being a book.

@BangleGuy The stainless is plain the FBE has 10 coats of CA. The entire top and both sides are MM through 12000. I turned it around once per grit to get both sides and take advantage of sanding in both directions. I then applied 1 coat of ren wax while on the chuck still then another buffed by hand and inside and out. The hardest parts of the entire process was keeping the stainless free of CA and the stainless dust from staining the "whites" of the FBE :)

On another note BangleGuy I will say that the stabilization of the blank impressed me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom