Fix For Lazerlinez Cap Pen Threads "Desire" (Old Style)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SteveG

The "Old Style" Lazerlinez cap threads ("Desire" components) were a problem for me and some others with whom I have communicated. I mentioned my fix for this in another recent thread and was asked to show and explain my solution. This is for the DESIRE ROLLERBALL; the fountain pen and other pen styles may require modifications to dimensions shown in this post. Here it is. The issues are twofold:

1. The cap would tend to cross thread fairly easily.
2. The cap threads (which are metal-on-metal) feel a bit rough.

These component sets are excellent in every other respect, aside from these two problems. Because of these issues, I have been unwilling to put these pens on my sales table. These issues I considered to be 'fatal flaws'. Not wanting to waste my investment on a good number of these components, I worked up a fix. This is similar to one used a few years back when the "Jr. Series" were having cap thread problems.

It is a two part fix:
1.Make and glue an appropriate sized sleeve inside the cap tube. This sleeve causes the pen front end to be in correct alignment when capping the pen, preventing the cross-threading from happening
2. Use a valve grinding cmpd. to smooth and relax the cap threads. A little dab and work the threads for a minute or two. Do it prior to pen assembly for ease of cleanup. ( You really want that abrasive paste GONE, once you have completed the thread smoothing process.)

VERY IMPORTANT NOTE: Notice that the sleeve ID is smaller than the OD of the pen front-end at the area near the threads. For this reason the sleeve must be positioned a bit (about .5'') into the tube so it will not interfere as the pen is capped. You have to position it so it will be at just the right location to guide the front end as the threads are just starting to engage.
All these words may make it seem complicated, but in fact it is just a matter of glueing a sleeve in place inside the tube. :)
After I applied this "Fix", my "Desire" rollerball pens are very smooth and a pleasure to use (and sell)! :biggrin::biggrin:

Attachments

• Sleeve Fix Lazerlinez.jpg
    Sleeve Fix Lazerlinez.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 252
  • Thread Fix Lazerlinez.jpg
    Thread Fix Lazerlinez.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 209
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WalkOn

Thank you Steve, I really appreciate this. I have several of these kits and I wanted to make sure I had a good understood of the process you'd mention, so I could correct them. Your explanation and pictures did the trick.

All the Best, and Thanks Again.

Kev

BigNick73

I agree they were a problem, and I'll use this for the ones I still have!

I will say that I made one that I toted around and used on a daily basis for about six months and those thread will smooth out significantly and won't want to cross thread as bad, so don't discount the effect of just using some lapping compound on the threads, should get the same effect in a lot less time.

SteveG

To Mintman...I have never tried the buffing solution, but it may work, and if anyone tries it, I would like to know your results. Thanks for the suggestion.

The lapping compound is a cheap way to go if you do not already have a metal buffing setup. I would suggest that smoothing the threads may not fix the tendency toward cross-threading because we are dealing with very fine threads, and correct alignment is very important. When I was in the Navy we used to call it "sailor proof". That is how I strive to make it for my customers (who are not sailors, of course but may not take as much care as I do when capping my pen ).:biggrin:

Top Bottom