Fishing Net

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Jmhoff10500

Jmhoff10500

I tried my hand at something that wasn't spinning 3000 rpm for a change and i am now content for 2010:biggrin: It is a layered fishing net made of koa, maple, and walnut. I steam bent the wood then machined it so i could weave the net through over 50 holes (tedious) but it was worth it and now i don't want to use it but instead mount it on a wall or something... Please comment!

P1120080.jpg

P1120081.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jmhoff10500

For a living? If only I could make a living off penturning... Oh and by the way, if anyone is interested in making your own, I might be able to get some good prices on the net part!

cbatzi01

That is really gorgeous. My dad had one of these that was his grandfathers. He just kept it in a closet. When I was about 6 or so, I cut all of the netting off to play with my GI Joes. When I got older, I always felt terrible about what I did! He still has the old frame, but these days it is out of my reach.

Maybe, I have an idea for a Father's day gift!

Nice work,
Chris

MrPukaShell

I say "Use It". No better satisfaction than hooking up on a nice fish, a brief battle and netting the fish with a net that you made yourself. You did an awesome job by the way.

bgibb42

It never ceases to amaze me, the wonderful quality of woodworking that folks share on this site. I would never in a million years think to make something like that, but now that I've seen it, I might have to try it one day. And if it were me, I wouldn't hesitate to use it. Nothing drives me crazier than to make a pen or other functional object as gift for someone (or myself:rolleyes:) and then see it put up on a shelf or used as a decoration. Excellent work!

Daniel

Beautiful, I spent last year making fishing polls. I got to looking at nets since my son and I both need one. I woudl have the same problem when finished though but would not get away with it for long. My son and I caught over 20 trout in just over an hour during one trip to the river last summer. you need a small net that just hangs off your wrist on a day like that.

HawksFeather

Very nice work on the net. I might be tempted to use it once so that it was "experienced" but then it would probably go on the wall with the fish I caught. What did you use to seal the inside of the holes cut for the net?

Jerry

Jmhoff10500

I ran a waxed down string trhough the holes then stuck it in the oven so the wax woul soak into the wood. then i sprayed the sealer over the whole frame. I used wax because its the only thing i could think of that would soak into the wood, create a water seal, and wouldnt wear away with use.

Top Bottom