First Wedding Ring

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Twissy

Twissy

Well, the first one I've had a go at making anyway, I've got a few in the divorced drawer :biggrin:

Received my parts from Eric (bangleguy) yesterday. Excellent service!
This is a size 12 stainless shod in Amboyna burl. I'm allowing myself two practice pieces with this being the first.
Learnt quite a bit with this one, and I think with the next one I may use epoxy over CA unless anyone has any advice on the best adhesive.
C&C's welcome.
IMG_1106.JPG

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SteveG

Eric himself recommends the silicone adhesive for rings, same as the bangles. He used CA in his instr. video to go quickly. Ask him about it. You are looking for what will allow flex as the wood moves vs the metal. Nice job on the ring.

CrimsonKeel

that looks nice. ill have to try this. only problem i see is with such a small piece of wood im not sure how much good grain or interesting patterns will be visable

Twissy

that's prety nice. i like it. been thinking of trying a ring. how was for the first one?

Cheers Nic. The worst part for me was getting the width the same all the way round. My chuck added a bit of vibration to the lathe, so it ended up a tad narrower than I would have liked.

Eric himself recommends the silicone adhesive for rings, same as the bangles. He used CA in his instr. video to go quickly. Ask him about it. You are looking for what will allow flex as the wood moves vs the metal. Nice job on the ring.

Thanks a lot for that Steve, it was on my mind, but didn't pick up from Eric's video that he was only using CA for speed. I'll drop him an Email.

that looks nice. ill have to try this. only problem i see is with such a small piece of wood im not sure how much good grain or interesting patterns will be visable

This was the most boring piece of wood in the blanks I got from Eric. I think some of the other burls will look really nice. You can also use mutts which would add another dimension.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
I like that a lot!! I reckon I might even try a kitless one this weekend if I'm not doing Dad's Taxi or a herd of Honey Do's. :)

Twissy

I like that a lot!! I reckon I might even try a kitless one this weekend if I'm not doing Dad's Taxi or a herd of Honey Do's. :)

And I like the idea of kitless a lot :biggrin: Mainly because I would like to make some using silver, and maybe a little thicker to give it some weight. I was thinking of making it in brass, and getting a mold made for casting in silver.
Got the T-shirt for Dad's taxi, but I do miss some of the Honey Do's :wink:

Turned Around

My only thing is, with the set up and having to build a small inventory of sizes and material variations, is it worth it to invest in this stuff to make it a part of your stock?

BSea

This is also something I want to try. I've been without a wedding ring for several years (still married though). As far as what wood to use, I think there are several that will give a really nice grain pattern. If you think about it, pens have a smaller diameter than most rings.

And I wouldn't want to do an inventory either. These rings can't be resized. I think maybe the best way to sell them is to show a few & then do custom rings. But I can see problems with that too.

But regardless of how marketable they are, that's a great job Twissy.

Top Bottom