First Watch Parts and Sewing Pen Blank Casting(s)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Leviblue

Leviblue

Local Chapter Leader
I tried my first watch parts (steam punked) casting. After a few attempts I had two that turned out okay. The rustoleum paint on the tubes is having a reaction with the poly resin. I'm also still getting air bubbles so a vacuum may be in the future if I keep moving forward with the castings.

The needle blanks for some reason are the hardest to get right for me. Air bubbles and paint reaction seemed to be worse. These are two different blanks that I made and turned.

I used a hot water bath to that the resin sat in for a while to thin down before adding the catalyst and pouring the cast.

All feed back and suggestions are appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_2489.jpg
    IMG_2489.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 992
  • IMG_2486.JPG
    IMG_2486.JPG
    42.2 KB · Views: 1,174
  • IMG_2485.JPG
    IMG_2485.JPG
    41.3 KB · Views: 826
  • IMG_2488.JPG
    IMG_2488.JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 489
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PaulDoug

Looks real good to me. I have only cast a couple things, so, I can't give you advice. That is the first "sewing" pen I have seen. I like it. Should be a popular one.

darcisowers

I really like that sewing pen!! I'd probably change it to a lighter colored background so the thread is more visable. VERY cool idea!!

corian king

Very nice! I just finished taking apart 25 watches am getting ready to give it a try myself.I am going to use pressure to see how that goes.
Keep up the good work.

Leviblue

Local Chapter Leader
I would be interested in hearing back on the pressure casting results. I've heard mixed opinions on which is best, pressure vs vacuum.

Post a few pics of the results please.

Top Bottom