First Vase

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from bitshird

bitshird

This is the first Vase I've made, it's 10-1/2 in. tall and 4 in. at the base and 3-3/4 at the mouth, the wood is some flame Box Elder I got from Gary Max and it's finished with around 10 coats of Deft clear gloss Lacquer, below it is a little lidded Walnut box, with about 5 or 6 coats of Lacquer,
Flame-Box-Elder-Vase.jpg

Lidded-Walnut-box-1.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
Ken, the vase is marvelous. Pretty good for your first one. I also like the lidded bowl, but I'm really fond of the Flaming Box Elder from Gary.

bitshird

Ken, that is nice work that you have there. You're now mastering wood a well as your usual great metal 'stuff'. Nice going.

Peter, I cheated I got a new lathe a few weeks ago a 16x42 Shop Fox with a 2 hp motor, so I used a 2-1/2 inch Forstner bit to hollow it out, it's drilled 9+ inches deep, but I've got such a crappy chuck, I kept spinning on the tenon that was to be the foot, it tore up so I had to cut the foot completely off, next investment for me is a Super Nova 2, I'd thought about selling my Barracuda chuck on here, but it's going to eBay instead, I wouldn't sell it to any one on here. I have a long way to go to master wood turning. I still need to make some hollowing tools, I'm working on one now for Gary Max.

wizard

All I can say is WOW. It looks beautiful ! Amazing for your first! If this is your first, I can imagine how the coming ones will look!

Allenk

Ken, that Box Elder vase just jumps out at you. Nice job! It sure looks better than my first!
Question: Was the tenon smaller than the Barracuda jaws could tighten on? I don't understand why the piece kept spinning in the jaws. Would they not tighten any more? I'm just curious...
I can truly vouch for the Nova SN2 chucks! :) I don't think you can beat 'em

Top Bottom