First try at pool cue pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from CaptG

CaptG

And I am not real happy with it. A friend who likes to shoot pool asked if I could make her a pool cue pen. Here is my first attempt. I think it is out of proportion and with the short cap was no way I could think of to make it look right. I used an Apprentice Jr. Gent kit because they are a bit thinner that the Jr. Gent., but not thin enough. It looks like the lower end of the cap is overturned in the first picture, but it is a reflection from the fitting. My story and I am sticking to it. Wood is Maple from a tree that lost a big branch in my back yard a couple years ago and Bolivian Rosewood with crushed turquoise dots inlayed in. The tip is a piece of leather glued on and sanded to shape. All I had for chalk was a bit of residue from a turkey call. I went with three points on the cap with the pointed fingers and should have gone with four or even six, which would make the cap look thinner, IMHO. I will put a little more thought into the next one. All comments welcome and appreciated.

Attachments

• pool cue 001.jpg
    pool cue 001.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 674
  • pool cue 003.jpg
    pool cue 003.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 370
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
Is her name Gina? I have 2 Gina cue's that play offly well. You just need to make the points longer and sharper.

That looks great! I do see what you mean about the ratio being off. What if you made the butt end a little longer? And do you have room to taper it a little more?

Mike

wizard

Gary, I think it turned out very nice!! Like Jeff, I think having the pattern on the barrel with it's length rather than the cap with the 4 to 6 pointed fingers as you mentioned might be the next pen...:). Gary, You are hard on yourself...and just as critical of your own GCF blanks....LOL...you would be great as a Quality Control Officer:wink::). Regards, Doc

Last edited:

Tanner

I think it looks great! You had to get the butt sleeve and inlays fit into a small cap area and I think you did a great job. Even the tip is leather like a real pool cue. Nice execution.

Jgrden

You did just fine. I tried one and although technically it was correct the buyer was not happy. It did not resemble a pool stick well enough for their liking. Did not make another one since then.

Top Bottom