First try at a segmented pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from emackrell

Status
Not open for further replies.

emackrell

20067253107_IMG_0434.jpg

Well, I had a crack at making a single-cross segmented pen, using one of BB's cool purple and teal blanks with slices cut from coral trustone. All went as per the tutorials on the home page until I started turning, when I discovered that my second cut-and-insert had left the intended cross WAY out of alignment. Finished the pen anyhow since I loved the blank, then went back and re-read the tutorials. Am I correct in presuming that the problem is that the inserts were too thick? If so I will try this again using thin sheet acrylic and see how it goes. Advice welcome!

cheers Eileen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gerryr

The first one of these I did I used 1/8" segments and decided that was too thick. I like to use 1/16". Ken is correct, you need to remove the same amount of material that you'll be adding.

OSCAR15

Hey Eileen....May be a bit off, but it is a lot better than my first attempt!
I tried double cross..Only slightly out of alignment...Spent a long time making blank, and it "came apart" while turning on lathe...Not sure I have the patience this tecqnique obviously takes...Good Looking pen,,,Oscar

clewless

Eileen,

Say after me..."It's a design feature!" ok, repeat 10 times[;)]

Actually it doesn't look like a cross that missed, rather two intersecting color bands.

Come to the next Bubbasville East, Aug.12th, and I'll give you some cheap wood to use for your next "feature rich" pen.

I experiment with slimlines and cheap wood, it doesn't hurt as much.

emackrell

Thanks for the kind words and I will definitely be at Bubbasville East in August! And Joe I think you're right, better to experiment with cheap wood. Using a BB double dyed blank for the first try smacks of hubris.

Speaking of Bubbasville East, I'll bring along some slabs of very pretty black walnut to share if someone there can show me the best way to cut it into blanks. I bought a very nice rocking chair from a woodworker in PA a few weeks ago; when he heard I have been learning to turn pens he gave me a stack of his "scrap" black walnut pieces, i.e. too small to make into rocking chairs (the smallest will probably make eight or ten pens). Will be happy to share.

cheers Eileen

Ron Mc

Very well done Eileen.

Now let's think about this for a moment. We all agree that the thickness of the material needs to be the same thickness as the amount of material you remove. Yet I have to disagree as well. Let's say you want include a cross that is comprised of 1/4" pieces. You have a 3/8" kerf. What if you made your first cut. Glued the blank together and made your second cut compensating for the 1/8" difference when marking your blank? Then you may have to offset your drilling to compensate for the offset cross but that can easily be done.

What if Eileen decided to make the first cut, glued back together. Made the second, not compensating for anything, glued back together. Then made a third cut along the lower glue joint of the first cut and only glued the segment on the upper part of the blank. Then glued the top and bottom of the upper barrel back together. Then after turning flip the clip around to the opposite side than it sits now? Do you see it?
[;)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom