First trip to a specialty store.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sgtralph

Ok folks, if you'll recall my introduction only a few weeks ago, I'm brand new to this hobby and I have no equipment at all. As luck would have it, I've been sent to Pennsylvania on a business trip and amazingly, the office is only 20 minutes away from Penn State Industries. On that note, I was wondering if anyone has an opinion of, or experience with the Turncrafter Commander 12" VS Midi lathe? Its priced at $480 and includes an extension bed.
Thanks,
Ralph

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bensoelberg

The president of my local turning club bought one for himself and one for the club. When we tried to turn it on during a meeting, it made a loud noise and refused to start. We've never gotten it to work. Shortly after that, our president reported that he is having trouble with his as well. He says that the belt will no longer stay on the pulleys. I'd have second thoughts about buying it based on those two lathes.

PenMan1

I'd pass on the TurnCrafter. All those I know that have purchased this machine have had one problem after another.

For about the same money, you can get a Ricon. For not much more money, you can get a Jet or a Delta.

RDH79

Turncrafter VS for 3 yrs

I have had a Turncrafter VS for 3 yrs. The tailstock is very slopy and doesnt line up. So I dont turn on it anymore. I just us it for finishing. The only other problem was the switch. But I took it apart and fixed that myself. The lathe I turn on is a Jet. perfectly centers and wouldnt trade it for anyother.

I got the 12" VS Turncrafter Commander from PSI because it was bundled with a lot of stuff as starters kits to make pens. Yesterday I had to drill 20 blanks to make 10 slimline pens for a friend. I felt I was wrestling the lathe. Tailstock wouldn't slide, the handwheel for advancing the quill wouldn't turn or it's very difficult to do, or if tightening against the mandrel, the tailstock slides back (what's called tailstock creep, I think).
It may be that in my newbyness I haven't properly set the lathe, but I seriously doubt it. I can turn pens on it, true, but sometimes I think that I shouldn't be struggling that much to do certain things.
If someone who owns this and feels willing to give some advice on proper settings, I would be immensely grateful.

Last edited:

philipff

It strikes me that the Delta Midi, I think the model is 46-460 is a better buy because of the high quality of the machine and the capabilities therein. I have an older version and it has been a great machine. Philip

Ulises; You are correct, this issue is shared by all the mini-lathes that have a round washer under the tailstock. There was a thread in the last several weeks about where to get a larger square clamping washer.

Any links to where to get one of these? Johnnycnc just emailed me saying he does not have that right now and that there may be up to 2 months until he can make them again.

Rusalka

I started out on a Rikon, very good starter lathe and they have great support.

Now I am using the Delta 46-460. It is a very NICE lathe.

And I am very biased against PSI.

leestoresund

Juat a bit of grammar: One is prejudiced against and biased in favor of.
So if you are biased against PSI you are schizo?

Trying to mix humor with one of my pet peeves.

Lee

firedkm

I have the PSI 12 lathe and really like. For now everything has been working fine. This is the first lathe that I have owned so my experience is very limited:biggrin:

Ordered the Mini Monster T Nuts from Monster Lathe Tools.
I really hope they will fix this problem.
Only caveat is they will take minimum 3 weeks to ship. :at-wits-end:

Thanks for the link above and to John who sent me a PM with the information.

Ordered the Mini Monster T Nuts from Monster Lathe Tools.
I really hope they will fix this problem.
Only caveat is they will take minimum 3 weeks to ship. :at-wits-end:

Thanks for the link above and to John who sent me a PM with the information.

Well I have to eat my words.
Just got email saying my parts were shipped and expected to arrive tomorrow... Yay!!! :biggrin:

Last edited:

Sgtralph

Great responses

Everyone, thanks for the great responses! I really appreciate the help. So now the big decision is whether I buy the Delta or the Jet? :confused: I guess I cant go wrong with either one..

RK1468

Jet vs. Delta

I have had a Jet 1220 for about a year and been pleased with it. I recently started a wood turning class at a local arts center that has Delta models of a similar size and configuration (46-455, perhaps). Using them both, the Jet seems somewhat more solid and better constructed though I have only been abusing the Jet for about a year whereas the classroom Deltas have been through heaven only knows what for how long.

Reid

sthoover47

Penn State Lathes

I have run various lathes both metal and wood. I have had no problem with the Turncrafter brand. As with anything built in China, it was not built to our degree of tolerences. When I set it up, I did do a "tune up" on it and it runs without any problems. The only problem I have is not enough hours in the day!! :usflag:

Top Bottom