First time trying bent wood rings

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from BigNick73

BigNick73

I got some scrap veneer on ebay so no idea what the woods really are. First one I think is poplar on the inside and walnut on the outside. Second is reversed with a crushed beer bottle inlay. I think these could be addictive.

EIfUMEel.jpg

9Xc2mEQl.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BigNick73

Very nice, would you be up for sharing a tutorial on the process that you go through ?

These are my first attempts so haven't dialed mine down. What I did was watch this guy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOpefb1dIJo ,there's 2 parts to that video, and then modified it a bit since I have a lathe.

I used pin jaws on the outside of the ring to sand and finish the inside. This is kind of sketchy since my hands are so close to the jaws, but small midi lathe with no torque set on low... then used the same jaws covered in some painters tape on the inside of the ring to cut the inlay groove. Next was some aluminum round stock in a collet chuck to sand/finish the outside/inlay. I just wrapped more tape around the bar until the ring would do a jam fit to hold it in place. Used a diamond stone to sand the glass down flush and then sand paper as normal for the rest.

Last edited:
Top Bottom