First Steps

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

G1Pens

Well, today I made my first attempt at turning a pen...or anything for that matter. Finally got the workbench built and the lathe set up and couldn't wait to do something.

First I turned a pen blank (3/4 x 3/4 x 5) between centers just to learn to use the tools and see how this all works. Didn't really make anything. Turned one half to about a 1/2 diameter and the other half a little smaller.

Then decided to try a pen. Cut the blanks to length, drilled them on the lathe. Glued in the tubes. Trimmed to tube length and then turned each half separately on the lathe. Came out okay for a first ever try. Got one end of the top half a little too thin so I decided not to assemble the kit and try again tomorrow. I have plenty of blanks and extra tubes.

I really enjoyed it. Can't wait till tomorrow. Maybe I'll get my first pen completed.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OKLAHOMAN

Now go ahead and assemble it, you'll have something always to look back on to see how far you've come.

Mark

Definitely. Assemble it and take a picture. I still have my first slimline. Actually it gets used everyday. I keep it on the kitchen table...

penmaker1967

it is good to assemble your first pen it gives u something to look at and improve on my parents have my first pen put up i look at it once in a while say say i have come a long way.

aggromere

I think that is great. I would assemble it too. The first pen I made was a slimline and I still have it. It doesn't look all that great, but I like having it.

J.L.DAVIS

My first attempt was pretty funny. I thought I had done a decent job since I had never turned anything before, I assembled it and was impressed. I then watched some videos online, since the turning didn't go smoothly. I did my second pen, and what a huge difference. My first attempt wasn't the right size anywhere. Only once I put the second one together did I realize how bad the first was. It is my first trophy. :)

Can't get the pictures upload for some reason otherwise you could see.

ctubbs

My first one went to someone else. I've forgotten just who or where, but my third resides in my shirt pocket every day. It is an Oak that is slightly spalted. the nib end is undersize at the nib and the center band. The top half is over size on both ends. The finish is horrible at best, gone in most places. The wood is showing dirt in all the pores. What can I say, its a mess, but I have it with me every day to look at to see just how far I have come in the two or so years since it was assembled. It is not for sale nor will it ever be as long as I live. I would not impose it on anyone else or take anything for it.
By all means, assemble your first pen and carry it forever. There will never be another one like it, good or not so good.

Charles

nava1uni

I agree with everyone. Assemble it, use it, cherish it because you can and because it set you off on this great adventure of turning.
Congratulation on your first pen.

RAdams

Banned
I disagree.

If you know it is inferior, and you can do better with little effort, then save the components for your first "worthy" set of tubes. THEN keep that pen forever. Because after you fall in the hole, and spend a year or two focused on making pens, it will still be a drastic difference.

After reading your post, I am going to guess that the pen blank you described turning was your first time behind the business end of a turning tool. I am going to further a guess and say that the tubes you did were project number two and three. I would keep the pen blank that you started with. After all, that is the true "first piece". Practice up, get good fundamentals, and skills, then make a pen. I still have my first pen. It was not, however my first set of tubes. I do not regret trashing the first two or three set of tubes, but if i would have just went with the first set of tubes, I would have regrets.

That being said, please understand that i had a full year of turning under my belt before i made my first pen, and 3 years of turning before i got serious about making pens. My first pen is still an embarrasment compared to my latest pieces.

Either way you decide to go...... WELCOME TO THE OBSESSION!

G1Pens

Thanks for all the replies

Thanks to everyone who replied to the post. I have given it a lot of thought and have decided not to build the pen from these blanks. Since I had never turned anything before, I have decided to keep the items I turned yesterday as souvenirs. I will always have them to go back to and see my progress.

Today I taking my second stab at a pen. I have already turned the blanks and it is a lot better. There was a small bad spot in the wood, but I think I can work around it. I WILL BUILD THE KIT with this set of tubes and will post pictures here later.

I'm having so much fun, I may do two today:)

ctubbs

Thanks to everyone who replied to the post. I have given it a lot of thought and have decided not to build the pen from these blanks. Since I had never turned anything before, I have decided to keep the items I turned yesterday as souvenirs. I will always have them to go back to and see my progress.

Today I taking my second stab at a pen. I have already turned the blanks and it is a lot better. There was a small bad spot in the wood, but I think I can work around it. I WILL BUILD THE KIT with this set of tubes and will post pictures here later.

I'm having so much fun, I may do two today:)

Too bad, so sad, you have just wasted the rest of your life. You're hooked. Two in the second day! OH MY GOSH! YOU'RE DONE FOR!:):biggrin::eek:

Charles

19 months ago I took a 2hr class put on by a local store. Made 2 wood slimlines that I got to keep and he gave me a certificate of compleation.
I took a deep picture frame and mounted the pens behind the glass ,with the cert. behind it. Pen turning gives me great pleausure and another place to spend money.:)

melinda_dd

My first pen was horrendous! It was a cigar pen, and I didn't know then that you needed different size bushes for the different pens, didn't even know you could get them! so you can imagine how bad it was.... oh and the blank had woodworm too!

My partner has it as it was my first ever pen so it is treasured! I love to look at it and laugh!!!

I remember when i started...
Did not have all the correct tools or the knowledge, only a deep desire to turn a pen!
I still have my first pen, it is really bad!!
But i was proud of it as it was the first time i had ever tried to make something like this.

I keep it with my pen collection to remind me of how far i have come in a short period of time.
It sits next to segmented pens, celtic knots and a few custom designs.

So long as you always strive to perfection, your pens will improve!

Having fun is the most important thing i find!!

Congratulations on starting your journey!

A favourite saying around here is: "No pictures, it never happened!"

Andrew

Top Bottom