First Statesman.......

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from bearfretworks

Status
Not open for further replies.

bearfretworks

.....and a pair of cigars. Fountain pen is for a friend at work to give as a gift. Made with bias cut canarywood from a board I got from chitswood. Anyone else have "problems" drilling the big hole? Bit kept wandering......

Cigars are mesquite from mesquiteman and desert ironwood from someone here, sorry I can't remember who......[:I]

Finish is 5 coats of lacquer and waxed.

tn_Statesmancigars.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Barry,
Nice pens. perhaps drilling in increasing size bits will do the trick. I had a cheap ryoby bench top that did the same thing,that worked for me. I finally made the investment in a hitachi floor model. Now, I still double drill the larger holes, but that is only my preference.

cozee

Sharp looking pens! For the bit wandering, first make sure it is sharp. Also, a "flatter" angle will allow the bit to walk/wander easier. If it is a frequient problem, try a different bit. As suggest earlier, another solution is to simply drill a smaller pilot hole first. In wood I suggest one no bigger than 1/3rd the size of the final size. A bigger pilot hole will allow the final bit to be a bit agressive and chew its way down and can cause worse problems(like tearing) than the wandering itself.

bearfretworks

Thanks for the compliments and the drilling tips. Yes, it is a relatively "flat" bit, not a brad point. It is the "recommended" bit with the kit. I'll try some practice holes in scraps before committing to "good" blanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom