First shots at trustone

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from JasonM

JasonM

Cranked these out a couple of weeks ago, but my wife's camera died. She's got a new camera now so here are the first couple shots - new materials for me, new camera for her. =)

I've always enjoyed the look of trustone, and finally had an opportunity to give it a shot.

The banded malachite turned really nicely - very much like an acrylic. Though it did try to blunt my tools a little more that acrylic does.

The black/gold matric was like nothing I had turned before. wow, that stuff is hard. Both the roughing gouge and the skew went through multiple sharpenings during the turning. And it wasn't shavings that came off of it - it was more like dust!

Based on advice from Butch and James (thanks guys) in my earlier post asking for tips, I took as light of cuts as I could and gave the blank plenty of cool-down time while working with it - usually during the times I was going back to sharpen the tools.

Finished it off with the 3-stage buff system. But rather than the harder carnuba stick with the system, I opted to try a paste-based wax used for granite. I put on 8 applications of that. Each time I spun it on the lathe until it dried, then while it was spinning on the lathe used the buffing wheel on a cordless drill to buff. The shine not showing so much in the photos is more a testiment to my photography than the turning. I was very happy with the shine. Though I am curious to see from the friend that ordered the pens if/how well the finish lasts.

Attachments

• Gold_Black.JPG
    Gold_Black.JPG
    96.3 KB · Views: 181
  • malachite.jpg
    malachite.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 168
Last edited:

kludge77

Nice!

Having never turned tru-stone I need to ask. What is the benefit over resin casting? Heavier, different color choices or just trying something new?

Either way they look good from here! The black/gold is my favorite of the two.

JasonM

It's harder than resin and has a great heft to it. The pens are pretty weighty. That and the fact that since I'm not currently set up to do my own casting I was able to just purchase the blanks. =)

Top Bottom