First Shell Casing (formerly "Bullet") Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Draken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draken

Here's my first bullet pen worthy of showing in public. Not up to my standards for selling, but I learned a lot so hopefully the next one turns out better. This pen uses the arrow shaft that was posted some time ago.

200651815445_0035SLCasingRosewoodCropScale.jpg

And this is a custom order Baron done in Koa wood. It appears I sent it off to be laser engraved a bit early, as the packing bubbles totally destroyed the lacquer finish. It was engraved and sent back to me. I disassembled it, threw it on the lathe, gently sanded off the existing lacquer finish, then started the finishing process all over again. Only thing I haven't done to this pen is apply anything after finishing with the MM. I didn't want any wax or polish settling in the engraved areas. I've come up with a new jig after this one to help keep the casing from spinning when drilling it. Hopefully the new jig will keep the casing from being crushed as well, and I'll watch the heat more closely next time so the brass doesn't discolor when drilling.

2006518154616_0034BaronGoldTIKoaCropScale.jpg

Thanks for looking and all comments positive or negative are welcome.
Draken

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Draken

The cap has the same lacquer finish as the body of the pen, just doesn't show in the photo (still working on my photos, can you tell? [:I]). I sprayed the lacquer right over the engraving, the engraver said it would be fine.

Cheers,
Draken

Skye

Originally posted by jdavis
<br />nice but we do not do bullets

How does that pertain to what he does?

I've had the same problem with overheating. Was wondering just how slow I would have to go to avoid it. My lathe isn’t the strongest thing in the world, don’t know how slow I can turn it while still cutting.

I'd suggest turning to the finial next time. I think it's a better look, but it's all personal preference.

gerryr

I haven't had problems with casings overheating. I drill on the lathe, 500 rpm, casing chucked in my Nova midi chuck. When I finish the drilling, I take it out of the chuck with bare hands so I know it isn't too hot. The chuck doesn't mar the surface BTW, even nickel plated casings.

From a strictly technical standpoint, these things we often refer to as "bullet" pens are not, they're casing pens. The bullet is the hunk of lead that does the killing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom